new phone recommendations

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,058
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Interestingly everybody mentioned about the brand, processor and price (of course), but nobody mentioned about display resolution.... Then OEMs are clever enough to cut the cost with cheaper lower screen to make extra money from you.

on a cheap/mid range phone who cares?
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 December 2018 at 12:29AM
    d123 wrote: »
    Just to clarify (in case you start confusing people) resolution on LCD screens are not dpi, (dpi is a measurement of printer output and is short for dots per inch), a phone screen would be measured in ppi (pixels per inch), however the screen would simply be described as 1080i, for example, which is 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels for full HD.

If you’d like to read up on dpi vs ppi, here are a few links

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

Thank you for the correction, ppi is more suitable measure as the each screen size is different.

ppi : Higher is better (you can get the crisp /sharp reproduction of images, texts)

Samsung Galaxy J6 720 x 1480 pixels 293 ppi density
    Motorola Moto G6 Play 720 x 1480 pixels 282 ppi density
    Samsung Galaxy A6 (2018) 720 x 1480 pixels 294 ppi density

Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 1080 x 2280 pixels 432 ppi density
    Xiaomi Mi A2 1080 x 2160 pixel 403 ppi density
    Xiaomi Mi A1 1080 x 2160 pixel 403 ppi density

As Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite screen size is smaller than Xiaomi Mi A2, the former is higher ppi than the latter.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9203&idPhone2=9002&idPhone3=%20%209155

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=9247&idPhone2=9140&idPhone3%20%20=8776&idPhone3=8776
    ballyblack wrote: »

Well, it doesn't matter how much you pay, as higher ppi (1080 pixel) produces finer and crisp reproduction of texts as well. People often talk about video streaming only but higher ppi helps to read small crisp texts (web news etc). So this is nothing to do with high end or low end spec actually. So I strongly suggest non enthusiasts should seriously consider a better higher resolution. (at least 400 ppi)

In short, anybody who watch the smartphone screen (i.e.everybody) should take care of their eyes. Higher ppi is "elderly eyes friendly" as well. Your mum and dad may not need very powerful processor, but they would need a better higher resolution screen particularly. (less tiring with watching screen)

At 2018, everybody can take advantage of 1080 pixel /400ppi at budget price, I suggest that everybody includes the screen resolution spec when considering smartphone.
  • ballyblack wrote: »

Anyone who has actually looked at both options I'd have thought and who doesn't just use it for voice calls. If they do only use it for voice calls they'd be better of with a dumb phone anyway.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,566
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am interested in opinions on what the 'best' android phone I can get for £250 is right now?
    (i dont know if £250- is considered low end or mid-range)

I have simple needs (whatsApp, messaging, phone calls!, Waze, Instagram) but am looking for something that takes decent 'auto' pictures, is reasonably zippy and will last me a few years.

I have seen the Huawei P20 Lite and it looks interesting but I am unsure how much the fact that it is not 'stock' android will affect the user experience as i try to install apps in the future.

Any pointers or experiences?

Many, many thanks.
  • You can get more 'bang for you buck' by buying a chinese brand such as xiaomi direct from a china website such as eglobalcentral (other sites available) Do a search for xiaomi on hotukdeals and read some of those threads
  • eljmayes
    eljmayes Posts: 473
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ant555 wrote: »
    I am interested in opinions on what the 'best' android phone I can get for £250 is right now?
    (i dont know if £250- is considered low end or mid-range)

I have simple needs (whatsApp, messaging, phone calls!, Waze, Instagram) but am looking for something that takes decent 'auto' pictures, is reasonably zippy and will last me a few years.

I have seen the Huawei P20 Lite and it looks interesting but I am unsure how much the fact that it is not 'stock' android will affect the user experience as i try to install apps in the future.

Any pointers or experiences?

Many, many thanks.
    Honor 8X (£210) or Honor Play (£225). I’d go for the Play as it’s got a faster processor.
  • The official Android Pie (UK based) is presently downloading on my Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite for those who've already got one.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,408
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The official Android Pie (UK based) is presently downloading on my Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite for those who've already got one.

And, in what way is this new OS going to benefit you (and me;))
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    J_B wrote: »
    And, in what way is this new OS going to benefit you (and me;))

It only takes 3 key presses to write pie, it used to take 4 to write Oreo :p
    ====
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,408
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    d123 wrote: »
    It only takes 3 key presses to write pie, it used to take 4 to write Oreo :p

:D:rotfl:

But .. I still need to type ten characters for the reply to be accepted here!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure