Asda - new systems not heling the environment

We've used click and collect at the local Asda for some time.
This service has recently moved to an automated locker system.

Asda have advised that you cannot use "re-usable" bags with this system, and that all shopping will be in disposable plastic bags, which we will be charged for.

This isn't the kind of progress I want to see from big organisations.

Come on Asda, promote recycling and change your processes!

Comments

• They are stopping giving paper receipts with online orders though, which I am grateful for. Mine always goes straight into the recycling.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    lazer-zxr wrote: »
    We've used click and collect at the local Asda for some time.
    This service has recently moved to an automated locker system.

Asda have advised that you cannot use "re-usable" bags with this system, and that all shopping will be in disposable plastic bags, which we will be charged for.

This isn't the kind of progress I want to see from big organisations.

Come on Asda, promote recycling and change your processes!
    In the scheme of things, this is merely a tweak.

Write to Asda to express your concerns: but for this oversight, presumably you'd be happy to use the automated system?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    How many of the items were flown around the world, using fuel to arrive...? I'm sure a jet or two, to ensure your fruit arrived in your plastic bag as fresh as possible, did more damage than that bag.
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    In the scheme of things, this is merely a tweak.

Write to Asda to express your concerns: but for this oversight, presumably you'd be happy to use the automated system?

I have done, and yes I'm happy to use the system if this is fixed.
  • How many of the items were flown around the world, using fuel to arrive...? I'm sure a jet or two, to ensure your fruit arrived in your plastic bag as fresh as possible, did more damage than that bag.

I get your point, but it was just the change in Asda's process to move away from reusable bags seems a backward step.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I get your point, but it was just the change in Asda's process to move away from reusable bags seems a backward step.
    Just ill-thought out by a team tasked to improve convenience rather than save the environment, but eminently fixable.

Asda needs to listen to its customers, just as other retailers do.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I remember shopping at Safeway while at Uni in the early 70s. In those days you were given strong brown paper sacs to put the shopping in.
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

You're having your shopping picked and packed by extra staff so you can drive up to a place a few feet away from your car to collect it.

A plastic bag is the least of the environmental Impact you're causing
  • Murphybear wrote: »
    I remember shopping at Safeway while at Uni in the early 70s. In those days you were given strong brown paper sacs to put the shopping in.

Amazon prime now (only available in some areas I think) deliver in very strong large brown paper bags. I find it suits me better than bagless but I don't like to get my shopping in plastic bags either so it's perfect.
  • primarni give their shoppers strong brown paper bags for goods and don't seem to charge at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure