do i really need glasses

2»

Comments

• Judging by your prescription details, I think you should get glasses. Not using them would further increase the strain on your eyes leading to bigger problems. If you are concerned that you would not look could in them, you can always go for contact lenses.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    FabFifty wrote: »
    If you are concerned about the cost why not try a pair of non-prescription 'ready readers' first? They can be found in various supermarkets, pharmacies, high street stores & similar and cost a fraction of the price of prescription glasses. I have a couple of pairs for reading at home and save my prescription glasses for use at work.

Because of the significant difference between the OP's two eyes. Off the shelf ones are equal in both eyes. If they really wanted to be tight / naughty they could buy two pairs of different strengths and swap one lens over. However even that would only be approximate and not recommended.

Or order online to the prescription from £6 upwards (plus postage)!
  • Yes, you need it, but you can still think about the contact lenses
  • leighp2013 wrote: »
    just wondering if i really need glasses or am i being fleeced into buying some .

here's my prescription details

Right Eye 2.50 sph cyl is blank add is +1.00

left eye +0.75 cyl -0.25 axis 160 add +1.00

so do i need glasses

Stick a patch over one eye and see how well you manage for up close, mid range and distance tasks. Odds are that it'll be really obvious that one eye is doing the majority of the work for each task - then you'll be happier about getting something that, once you put them on for the first time, will make you go 'Oh! That's so much clearer!'.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    you can get a cheap pair with the prescription to see what it like for less than £10 and you'll be able to see in 3D properly :D

Might want a pair with the Add for reading, and a pair without it for distance/TV use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure