Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jeff Wilson19
    • By Jeff Wilson19 5th Dec 18, 12:58 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jeff Wilson19
    PayPal Warning
    • 5th Dec 18, 12:58 PM
    PayPal Warning 5th Dec 18 at 12:58 PM
    I know I am not alone when I say Think Twice about using PayPal. You are not protected as they say,

We purchased goods from somebody overseas and as a small company £263 was a lot of money to spend with someone we had no dealing with and we couldnt get the items in the UK, So we piad using PayPal.
    When the goods arrived they were nothing like what was ordered or promised they were very cheap and terrible, So we asked them about it and to cut a long story shorter we were fobbed off, they laughed at us basically, but because we had paid via paypal I thought we would be covered and asked them for help.

We asked PayPal to step in and help us, We were told to send the goods back, PayPal decided in our favour and told us you will get your money back great we thought lets send the rubbish back and we will learn from it.

However that's when the trouble started, We were given an address by PayPal to send the goods back but in a different country than we had purchased so we called and asked why and were told its because the individual has that as his address so we tried 6 different shipping companies who told us it was incorrect address and they couldn't except the package, we told by PayPal no problem we will extend your case until the SELLER responds with the correct details so we waited and waited three times we called PayPal back and nothing we spoke to PayPal again and they said dont worry its not your fault its the Seller the case has been found in your favour as soon as the SELLER responds you can then proceed.
    As we were getting nowhere so I used my own common sense and used google maps and after making a couple of phone calls overseas ourselves we got the correct information, brilliant we went back to the shipping company and we paid a further £83 to send the parcel back with full tracking details again we checked with PayPal as a further £83 to post them back is a lot of money yes send them back its fine.

So we sent pictures and scans of the tracking we sent them photos of the goods we should have received and the goods we actually received and today we are told we have reached a decision and your claim has been closed as you didn't provide details in time.
    I am absolutely disgusted with PayPal and the lies they have told us, the incompetence of them and there staff and the fact they decided in our favor asked us to spend further money then closed our case, we spoke with them at every step and did everything they asked.

We have sent the incorrect goods back as they asked and are now left £346 pounds out of pocket. I am so frustrated and angry and upset that PayPal can basically lie to us and many more people at the moment looking on PayPal Facebook page. I would ask Martin to investigate this please? Think twice before using PayPal
    Last edited by Jeff Wilson19; 05-12-2018 at 1:33 PM.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Dec 18, 1:25 PM
    • 21,763 Posts
    • 17,641 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Dec 18, 1:25 PM
    • 5th Dec 18, 1:25 PM
    No idea whether there is anything of interest in that vast wall of text, if you really want it to be read I suggest you invest in some paragraphs.
    • Jeff Wilson19
    • By Jeff Wilson19 5th Dec 18, 1:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jeff Wilson19
    • 5th Dec 18, 1:29 PM
    • 5th Dec 18, 1:29 PM
    I really dont care what you think, if you arent interested in the vast wall of text dont read it.
    Have a lovely day.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 5th Dec 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 5th Dec 18, 1:32 PM
    • 5th Dec 18, 1:32 PM
    I know I am not alone when I say Think Twice about using PayPal. You are not protected as they say, We purchased goods from somebody overseas and as a small company £263 was alot of money to spend with someone we had no dealing with and we couldnt get the items in the UK, So we piad using PayPal, When the goods arrived they were nothing like what was ordered or promised they were very cheap and terrible, So we asked them about it and to cut a long story shorter we were fobbed off, they laughed at us basically, but because we had paid via paypal I thought we would be covered and asked them for help. we asked PayPal to step in and help us, We were told to send the goods back, PayPal decided in our favour and told us you will get your money back great we thought lets send the rubbish back and we will learn from it. that's when the trouble started, We were given an address by PayPal to send the goods back but in a different country than we had purchased so we called and asked why and were told its because the individual has that as his address so we tried 6 different shipping companies who told us it was incorrect address and they couldn't except the package, we told PayPal no problem we will extend your case until the SELLER responds with the correct details so we waited and waited three times we called PayPal back and nothing we spoke to PayPal again and they said dont worry its not your fault its the Seller the case has been found in your favour as soon as the SELLER responds you can then proceed, So I was getting nowhere so I used my own common sense and used google maps and after making a couple of phone calls overseas ourselves we got the correct information, brilliant we went back to the shipping company and we paid a further £83 to send the parcel back with full tracking details again we checked with PayPal as a further £83 to post them back is a lot of money yes send them back its fine. So we sent pictures and scans of the tracking we sent them photos of the goods we should have received and the goods we actually received and today we are told we have reached a decision and your claim has been closed as you didn't provide details in time. I am absolutely disgusted with PayPal and the lies they have told us, the incompetence of them and there staff and the fact they decided in our favor asked us to spend further money then closed our case, we spoke with them at every step and did everything they asked. We have sent the incorrect goods back as they asked and are now left £346 pounds out of pocket. I am so frustrated and angry and upset that PayPal can basically lie to us and many more people at the moment looking on PayPal Facebook page. I would ask Martin to investigate this please? Think twice before using PayPal
    Originally posted by Jeff Wilson19

Could be a long wait!
    • Jeff Wilson19
    • By Jeff Wilson19 5th Dec 18, 1:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jeff Wilson19
    • 5th Dec 18, 1:36 PM
    • 5th Dec 18, 1:36 PM
    Hi, Thanks for the comment. Probably, but hopefully it might make somebody else aware.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Dec 18, 2:22 PM
    • 13,081 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Dec 18, 2:22 PM
    • 5th Dec 18, 2:22 PM
    In all that text you don't actually say what the returns tracking says?

Has it been delivered?
    • Jeff Wilson19
    • By Jeff Wilson19 5th Dec 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jeff Wilson19
    • 5th Dec 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5th Dec 18, 2:39 PM
    Hi,

Yes.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Dec 18, 3:36 PM
    • 13,081 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Dec 18, 3:36 PM
    • 5th Dec 18, 3:36 PM
    Hi,

Yes.
    Did you upload the tracking to the case?

What exactly does the tracking status show?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Dec 18, 7:21 PM
    • 21,763 Posts
    • 17,641 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Dec 18, 7:21 PM
    • 5th Dec 18, 7:21 PM
    I really dont care what you think, if you arent interested in the vast wall of text dont read it.
    Have a lovely day.

So you don't care, but you've put the paragraphs in anyway? Nice to be consistent. By the way, I don't care either, so I have followed your instruction and not read it.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Dec 18, 3:13 PM
    • 28,237 Posts
    • 11,485 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    So you lost the money because you failed to upload the tracking in time?

If £263 was a lot to risk with some stranger, why did you risk it?

Cannot get the item in the UK or just not at that price? How did you find the seller?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Dec 18, 3:59 PM
    • 5,629 Posts
    • 33,209 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    B2B. Due diligence.

Buy cheap. Buy carp.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Dec 18, 4:25 PM
    • 5,601 Posts
    • 4,249 Thanks
    sheramber
    What is the timeline?

When did they tell you to send them back and it would be okay?

When did you actually send them back?

When did you send them the tracking details?
    • WoodyMax
    • By WoodyMax 7th Dec 18, 7:43 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    WoodyMax
    To be honest JeffWilson19 appears to have been very proactive in how he has dealt with things. I must admit before his post I thought Paypal was a safe way to pay for things (by safe I mean getting a refund when you send your order back in good time, well-packaged and tracked etc).
    It will make me think again so thanks for the heads up.
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 11th Dec 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    I used to use PayPal all the time for purchasing with Ebay. Then I got an email saying I'd spent $200 on advertising. On the Ebay community forum I found 16 pages of other people who had unauthorised foreign currency purchases appearing (some unfortunate people had several amounts taken).

The general consensus there was that PayPal itself had been hacked, 'authorised merchants' had been set up on accounts (mine was something called FaceBook Ireland - & the payment taken was for advertising space).

Advice was to delete that immediately, change passwords & ask PayPal to step in. To be fair, they did so immediately & it wasn't many days before my money was returned.

From that day on I still use PayPal when I have no option, but I absolutely NEVER leave my card details sitting there. The option NOT to does flash up I believe, but not enough time to say NO! So right after the transaction has completed I delete the card from PayPal.

I've never kept funds kept there, & since then no card details for more than a few minutes.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Dec 18, 5:01 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 3,505 Thanks
    LadyDee
    To be honest JeffWilson19 appears to have been very proactive in how he has dealt with things. I must admit before his post I thought Paypal was a safe way to pay for things (by safe I mean getting a refund when you send your order back in good time, well-packaged and tracked etc).
    It will make me think again so thanks for the heads up.
    Originally posted by WoodyMax
    Due diligence before you buy is actually the answer. Studying the company's returns procedure before you buy. Reading their terms and condition before you buy. Price isn't everything - and this from a person who counts every penny!

There's very little to be concerned about using Paypal if you are careful about who you buy from. Millions from around the world use Paypal every day and generally any problems can be foreseen with a bit of caution.
    • Kej
    • By Kej 12th Dec 18, 11:29 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kej
    PayPal is dangerous
    Whether you’ve done due diligence or not, PayPal doesn’t always have your best interests at heart. Money can be taken out of your account within seconds but getting it back can be painful and will take several days once approved.

Ive used PP plenty of times without second thought, feeling “safer”, until I was burned - small, but in a few different ways - fake debits, fake companies, fake products - each one revealing more of PayPal’s lack of concern or inability to protect me. Besides the fact that the call agents are not English nationals following scripts, and have no vested interest in my point of view as a customer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,933Posts Today

7,661Users online

Martin's Twitter