Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mgbond
    • By mgbond 28th Nov 18, 11:13 AM
    • 26Posts
    • 7Thanks
    mgbond
    What do I need for a full system.
    • 28th Nov 18, 11:13 AM
    What do I need for a full system. 28th Nov 18 at 11:13 AM
    Hi,

Has anyone used UK Energy Solutions, Got them coming round for full system quote. This is what I understand so far that I should get:

1. As many panels as I can and the large output one. Although this may take my over the allowed limit it wonít matter as the inverter will cap it.
    2. Battery storage, looks like itís not that much more, but should I set the provision for it and wait a couple of years before adding a battery.
    3. I really like the idea of the Air to water heat pumps that can connect up to my current hot water meaning no gas needed for tank heat or radiators? Is this a good idea?
    4. If using a heat pump, make sure it doesnít have the chemicals in it that will soon be banned.

Any other advice?

Thanks

Martin
Page 2
    • mre15
    • By mre15 7th Dec 18, 2:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mre15
    Other things to consider is your mention of a little shading from trees. The trees will grow and may become a bigger problem. Consider this now as a solar system should be considered very long term project.
    I had a quote from Contact Solar but didn't end up using them and have gone with a more local supplier to me instead. Contact Solar were reasonably priced to start but offered virtually no movement on that price.
    You also need to take a look at exactly what equipment they would be supplying. My quote from them was for a Solax hybrid inverter and on checking it was a model that has now been discontinued.
    It wasn't a bad product just a slightly older model.
    • mgbond
    • By mgbond 7th Dec 18, 6:52 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mgbond
    The problem is that Iím learning as I go. I have now established that some inverters (3.68kw) can clip system from 4 to over 5k of panels. So that why I pushed to 17 as the inverter can still handle the output and cap it to 3.68. The 20 panels is only because apparently with storage your system can be 7kw. Thatís 23 panels but I only have room for 20 before I start to use the extension roof. As you say the 20 with storage at 9k isnít bad but 17 without is really not expensive. Iím trying other people as there might be inverters available that will let me ha e 18 panels. I e been advised to not worry about storage at this time. After the FIT finishes there are talks that a new Solar tariff maybe introduced encouraging people to use storage and charge them off the grid (winter times) late at night when grid usage is low and init prices will be cheaper. So Iím drawn to the 17 but just trying to see if someone can get me 18 so I can produce a bit more in winter time.

Hope that makes sense.
    • mre15
    • By mre15 7th Dec 18, 7:27 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mre15
    I am having 16 panels fitted next week with a hybrid inverter so that I can add batteries as and when the price gets acceptable. I do get some shading in winter from a chimney so have chosen panels with built in optimisers to hopefully help. The panels came in at £5 each more expensive than standard panels. This was a lot less than the solar edge options would have cost.
    Your maximum amount of panels will depend on inverter choice as it will have a maximum dc input in its specs. Some allow quite a bit and some not.
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 8th Dec 18, 4:24 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 4,165 Thanks
    EricMears
    Told a fib, Trees to the south of the property are a bit higher than the house.
    Originally posted by mgbond
    Whether not they'd actually shade your roof depends on how much taller than the house they are and how far away. There's another couple of weeks yet before the absolute lowest declination of the sun but we're probably close enough to get a good idea of what shading will occur (and in any case generation during the next 4 weeks won't be huge)

Don't rely on looking out of an upstairs window assuming that if you can't see the sun above the trees, the roof must be in shade - the extra few feet might make all the difference. However, you might need to factor in the possibility of the trees getting even taller in a few years time.
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • mgbond
    • By mgbond 8th Dec 18, 4:51 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mgbond
    I took some pictures today but unfortunately the sun went behind clouds after 11am. One thing to consider is that the tree in question is not green in winter so not completely blocking.

1st pic is 10am . 2nd at 15:45 very low the 3rd is 11am. Sun would be on roof albeit and an angle. Last pic shows the house from the front with the tree in the distance. (Sorry they are not in order)

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1wg36ebja/
    Last edited by mgbond; 08-12-2018 at 4:55 PM.
    • mre15
    • By mre15 8th Dec 18, 7:40 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mre15
    You really need to get outside and look back at your roof to see if there are shadows. Even a small amount of shading can considerably drag down a string of panels that don’t have optimisation. This time of year is the best time to check this. It’s much easier to accommodate on install than at a later date if you find you have shading.
    • mgbond
    • By mgbond 9th Dec 18, 1:08 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mgbond
    12pm hitting front roof. 1 pm it was hitting the hose side in but still on roof.

I think Iíll get optimisers anyway mainly for winter though.

https://postimg.cc/1864q0Rb
    • mgbond
    • By mgbond 9th Dec 18, 4:02 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mgbond
    Well it looks like itís all over at 3pm anyway at this time of year. Do you south facing people still get it at 3.

https://postimg.cc/jCBb7Lg7
    • Coastalwatch
    • By Coastalwatch 9th Dec 18, 4:14 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    Coastalwatch
    Well it looks like itís all over at 3pm anyway at this time of year. Do you south facing people still get it at 3.

https://postimg.cc/jCBb7Lg7
    Originally posted by mgbond
    I guess, not a lot is the answer although we are SSE facing. At 2.30 the system was producing 1.4kW then at 3pm 95W, down to 7W by 3.30.
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23į pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus one dirty diesel. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
    • mgbond
    • By mgbond 10th Dec 18, 8:54 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mgbond
    Unless a bettter or similar price comes along (or maybe only a bit more if it’s a local firm) then I think the 17 panels (295w) with Iboost for 5.6k is going to be the one. At 2:30 this time of year the top five of my panels may look like they might get a bit of shade so going to get optimisers on them. So probably another £250.

https://postimg.cc/w7ByD5KB
    Last edited by mgbond; 10-12-2018 at 9:09 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,136Posts Today

8,417Users online

Martin's Twitter