Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jrcd92
    • By jrcd92 6th Dec 18, 4:41 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jrcd92
    Business broadband provider difficulties - rights?
    • 6th Dec 18, 4:41 PM
    Business broadband provider difficulties - rights? 6th Dec 18 at 4:41 PM
    Hi all! Very tricky pickle we've got with our broadband provider at the office, and I wonder if anyone can help/has experience of similar? I'm not going to name the provider at the mo - simply looking for advice on our rights and best way to resolve issue or get out of contract if possible.

We've had recurring problems with internet since it was installed in August 2018. The internet drops out for about 45 mins at a time, regularly every Monday morning, and also sporadically during the week. We're quite an internet-dependent business and it's cut out a number of times during sales webinars with clients, potentially costing 1,000s in business, given that the average purchase is 1,200 for our main product.

The facts of the matter thus far are as below:

1. Their sales rep came to the office in July, I explained our needs for internet provision, and she assured me the package would be fit for the purpose required.

2. The contract is business-to-business to we are seemingly not covered by the Consumer Rights Act, sadly. (Is this true? And is there any alternative provision?)

3. I first reported the dropping out problem on September 10th. They admitted their standard router wasn't fit for purpose, and suggested buying a more powerful, better router would resolve the problem, offering a small contribution towards that cost as a credit off the bill.

4. It didn't fix the issue, so I've continued to report it with three calls and two emails between 17th September and late November, as well as keeping a log of downtime. I mean, my home internet drops out from time to time, but not 2-3 times a week, for 45 minutes at a time. I can get a log of this to work out the exact times, but I estimate we've been on hold for about 4 hours of time on calls to them during this period. They have suggested every time to "power cycle" the router, which of course is always our first course of action, and haven't been able to do any more than that.

5. I called and tried to escalate the issue, eventually getting a response on 3rd December. They've sent an Openreach engineer out at their cost, after much debate about who should bear that cost, and he has found no problems with either the copper or broadband tests. That was much as expected, as we never had any issue with previous provider.

6. I am expecting a further call once they have these results to discuss next steps. Basically, though, it appears that the fault is on their end, rather than with our equipment.

7. There is a clause in the contract that states: "If the period of delay or non-performance continues for eight weeks, the party not affected may terminate this Contract on 30 days written notice to the affected party." Though the "party not affected" bit is quite ambiguous and suggests we don't have the right to terminate.

So that's the lie of the land. The ideal result for us is getting out of the contract on the grounds that the product isn't fit-for-purpose or as advertised, and that customer service has been poor and hasn't resolved our issue in nearly three months since first reported. All I'm seeking is some advice on what rights we have in this case, if anyone has experience of similar, and in the meantime I'll wait for the team to ring me back to see what they suggest on the back of the tests this morning.

Thanks so much in advance!

Jack
Page 1
    • Carer
    • By Carer 7th Dec 18, 6:50 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    Carer
    • 7th Dec 18, 6:50 PM
    • 7th Dec 18, 6:50 PM
    I think you need another engineer visit.

We had this exact problem a year or so ago, it went on for months. We are an internet only business in a rural area with a rubbish mobile signal so it was really annoying for us.

After 2 engineer visits we got a competent one who diagnosed the issue within a few mins.

It appeared that something in the cabinet that served the small industrial park wasn't up to spec so every Monday morning when everyone logged on to check email from the weekend, our internet cut out and did so sporadically during the week.

He said it was likely that other companies on the estate may have recently had more internet connected items installed which was putting strain on the system at busy times.

He spent a few hours going between us and the cabinet fiddling with stuff and solved the problem completely. It's been fine ever since. Our ISP is Plusnet.
    • jrcd92
    • By jrcd92 8th Dec 18, 9:05 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jrcd92
    • 8th Dec 18, 9:05 AM
    • 8th Dec 18, 9:05 AM
    I think you need another engineer visit.

We had this exact problem a year or so ago, it went on for months. We are an internet only business in a rural area with a rubbish mobile signal so it was really annoying for us.

After 2 engineer visits we got a competent one who diagnosed the issue within a few mins.

It appeared that something in the cabinet that served the small industrial park wasn't up to spec so every Monday morning when everyone logged on to check email from the weekend, our internet cut out and did so sporadically during the week.

He said it was likely that other companies on the estate may have recently had more internet connected items installed which was putting strain on the system at busy times.

He spent a few hours going between us and the cabinet fiddling with stuff and solved the problem completely. It's been fine ever since. Our ISP is Plusnet.
    Originally posted by Carer
    Sounds like a very similar problem which could well be the root cause!! The engineer came on Wednesday and did some fiddling both inside and outside in the cabinet. It's been ok since then but I'm expecting a call back on Monday, and we'll see how it goes when we get in on Monday morning. Thanks for your help and for sharing - we'll keep persevering and will get it solved I'm sure!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,784Posts Today

7,249Users online

Martin's Twitter