Eggnog & Advocat

Ok guy's,

I just need to clear up a little bit of mis-information.

I have noticed that alot of people are stating that Egg-Nog is the same as Advocat. Well, im sorry but it is not. They may have some of the same ingredients, but they taste different. Egg-nog is made almost like you would custard, and it usually has brandy in it.
With Advocat you add lemonade, if you try with egg-nog, you get a nasty frothy mess and it will most likely split.

If you want to give them a try:
For the Egg-nog I would suggest getting an egg-nog latte from starbucks to start with. If you like it, then Tesco have a really nice non-alcoholic version.
Im a new user so I cant post links:
  • Teso £0.69p
  • Serge Island Egg Nog Drink 240Ml
You can always add brandy or whiskey if you wish.

For a Snow Ball (Advocat) Tesco have a version that in my opinion is nearly as good as Warnicks:
  • Tesco £5.79
  • Tesco Dutch Advocaat 70Cl

It's really simple to make. Just add cold lemonade to taste.
NOTE: They both contain Egg's.

Im not trying to upset anyone by posting this. I lived in America for 4 years and I really miss Egg-Nog at christmas, and I was getting tired of being told it was Advocat and lemonade which is a Snowball.
So, I hope this helps someone out there. :beer:
Any questions, go ahead and ask.
Enjoy!!:D

Comments

• I love egg nog (having caught the bug in America & Canada) but can't find any local to me (Cambridgeshire); I asked in many shops, including Tesco but just receive blank looks. I've tried ordering on Amazon too but after weeks of waiting have received emails saying out of stock. If anyone knows of anywhere to get some could they please let me know?
    Thank you:):)
  • Yes we got some from Lidl, can't remember the price though
    :)
  • B00
    B00 Posts: 62 Forumite
    snoopy58 wrote: »
    I love egg nog (having caught the bug in America & Canada) but can't find any local to me (Cambridgeshire); I asked in many shops, including Tesco but just receive blank looks. I've tried ordering on Amazon too but after weeks of waiting have received emails saying out of stock. If anyone knows of anywhere to get some could they please let me know?
    Thank you:):)

Why buy it when you could just as quickly, and probably cheaply, make it?

http://www.eggnogrecipe.net/traditional-eggnog-recipe.html

• This is what I always thought these drinks were which also is stated in Wikipedia. Just to clear up the information on the first comment .... you are giving details on how to serve these drinks but as you can see from the following information, these are the INGREDIENTS in both these drinks:

Eggnog, or egg nog, is a sweetened dairy-based beverage traditionally made with milk and/or cream, sugar, and whipped eggs (which gives it a frothy texture). Brandy, rum, whisky, bourbon, vodka, or a combination of liquors are often added. The finished serving is often garnished with a sprinkling of ground cinnamon or nutmeg.
    Eggnog is a popular drink throughout the United States and Canada, and is usually associated with winter celebrations such as Christmas. Eggnog may be added as a flavoring to food or drinks such as coffee and tea. Eggnog as a custard can also be used as an ice cream base.

Advocaat is a traditional Dutch / Belgian rich and creamy liqueur made from eggs, sugar and brandy. It has a smooth, custard-like flavor and is similar to eggnog. The typical alcohol content is generally somewhere between 14% and 20% ABV. Its contents may be a blend of egg yolks, aromatic spirits, sugar or honey, brandy, vanilla and sometimes cream (or evaporated milk).
    In the export variety whole eggs are used, making it more liquid and particularly well suited for cocktails and long drinks. The best known cocktail using advocaat is the Snowball: a mixture of advocaat, sparkling lemonade and sometimes lime juice, although this is not required for the drink. Another is the Fluffy duck, made with rum. A highly popular advocaat-based beverage is the Bombardino, a drink commonly found in Italian ski resorts, particularly the Italian Alps, made by mixing advocaat, brandy, and whipped cream. [1]

I say make your own mind up but hacing drunk both I can say there is hardly an difference and really it depends on how you SERVE it as to what it is called mostly!! :)

Anyway .. off to have a Snowball :) Merry Christmas *hic* :xmassmile:xmassmile
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Both totally different things. Egg nog is normally quite thick, contains nutmeg and spices and is either homemade or often found in the chilled section of the supermarket in the States. Its sold in cartons a bit like milkshake and is non alcoholic so is popular with American kids but you can add brandy for the adults and its drank warm.

Advocaat is that bright yellow alcoholic liqueur that you mix with lemonade. As far as I know there is no non-alcoholic alternative to serve to kids and it wouldn't be served warm.

I'm off back to Nevada for Xmas and will be spending Xmas day with a steaming mug of egg nog topped with whipped cream - Yum!!
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Still get nightmares about having to drink Advocat snowballs and my Nans. YUK!
  • Yes I have to agree that they are both different. I use the recipe below every year as people arrive and it is lovely. Only uses 1 egg although I double the recipe to do enough for 9.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/drinks/warming-eggnog-recipe
  • the closest I have come to it is to buy an egg nog substitute I use the madagascan vanilla custard from waitrose, and grate nutmeg on the top, its pretty close, and add brandy of course.
  • This old discussion helped clear up any confusion between Eggnog and Advocaat a few years ago. Hopefully it'll do the same for a few more eggnog fans :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Saying eggnog and Advocaat are completely different things because one gets lemonade added is like saying petrol and diesel are different because one can be used to power your specific car.

Egg nog contains:
    Milk, Cream, Sugar, Egg Yolk, Nutmeg. Traditionally alcohol is added (rum, brandy, etc.) but selling it without gives you a bigger market.

Advocaat contains:
    Sugar, Egg yolks, Vanilla, Brandy

When I was a teen we drank Advocaat with milk as a mixer, so all you need is nutmeg and you're there. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure