First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The criteria adopted by DWP will include the following:
    Living in the same household
    Stability of relationship
    Financial support
    Dependent children
    Public acknowledgement
    Sexual relationship.

It is perfectly possible for two single people to share accommodation, and provide mutual support but not be assessed by the DWP as living together as man and wife (or civil partner)

https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/survival-guide-benefits-and-living-together
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why not phone the DWP and ask for a home visit due to disability and a recent operation. The DWP might refuse this and want to see each lady separately but its well worth asking.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Leavemealone
    Leavemealone Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for all of your comments. To enlighten you more, we met over 40 years ago at our children's' school, and remained friends with partners and growing children. As Partners died and children left home and we each became disabled and lonely, we realized that we could make helping each other at times of need, could be better served if one or us permanently moved into the others' home. My home has 3 bedrooms so would be better to each have a 'bed siting room for each of ours privacy, plus a spare room for visitors, we do not even have a TV etc. in the main lounge because we retire to watch TV in our own personal spaces. I became more disabled and had to give up work, my friend continued working. So when I made my first claim all the relevant details were given and the DWP made their decision based on those facts. The time came for my friend to retire and receive State Pension, and again all the relevant details were taken, and a decision made. Neither of us discussed these decisions as they were personal. To this day our situation remains just that, but, a few years' ago I was assessed for a wet room conversion and the OT that came to the house was very very inquisitive, even after having the full run of the home, and this is where the innuendo comes in. she actually almost bullied us into answering person questions, and I had to ask her to leave.

It was about 6 months' after that that we were both summoned to the office as I have explained above.

We are not, nor have ever been in a sexual relationship with each other. We are friends caring for each other in end of life days, and if that is seen as a reason to keep visiting an\or making us come into their offices, why do they not just ask the question and get it done with!

They had our payments stopped for 13 weeks last year, and we have never had a decision, or explanation since we made those statements and our monies were back paid so I have to assume they were happy then with our situation, so as my health gets worse, and these may well actually be the final end of life days, do they think we have suddenly started frenetic sex life, when I can hardly walk and my friend with C O P D can not breath well!!!! If the picture was not so funny, It is at least stupid at the very least, and, after all the statements and visits over the years, actually causes offence.

Of course you all, and they have a right to ask, and we would give you an honest answer or explanation if the questions were asked straightforwardly but they are not, they are asked in such a way as to try and 'trip us up' problem is we answer with truth and honest, our old brains are to addled to start making up lies now, sometimes i can't remember what day it is, let alone who I slept with and what we did last night!! We have both been honest, caring people and whilst I do not think that we deserve any kind of 'special' treatment, why keep on doing this, or perhaps they hope to catch one of us up a ladder cleaning peoples windows for cash in hand!
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    The fact that there is no sexual relationship does not in itself prove that there is no relationship. Even sleeping apart is not proof. Indeed those in a relationship might well live in different countries or one may work away from home for months at a time. It is the whole situation that they are looking at.
    I'll try and give you an example.
    I was an administrator (no will) for my late uncle who had a lady friend live with him. Her retirement income was treble that of my uncle as was her bank balance.
    Yet she made a claim for half his estate (the house valued at £800,000) in his name only. Following expensive counsel advice it was deemed that they lived together (actually they slept in different bedrooms and were simply two lonely friends) I had to settle her claim for 50% of the net estate.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    "I think newcomers to this forum need to bear in mind that this is a public site on which anyone can post. You can't assume information is trustworthy, indeed some posters are known to disrupt, post disinformation, and tell tall stories.

I would caution newcomers to be wary of any advice supplied that doesn't contain a link to an authoritative site. Such sites include adviceguide, entitled to, turn2us, revenuebenefits.
    Accredited benefit advice is available from local advice agencies such as Citizens Advice.

Please don't take horror stories about benefit assessments, appeals etc at face value. There are posters on here who whose aim seems to be to alarm, frighten, and generally dissuade OP's from pursuing sensible actions to claim / regain the right benefits.

Harmful and misleading posters are easily identified by the reaction to their posts
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    I think it is quite clear from the information given that the 2 ladies form 2 separate households.

The DWP have obviously come to that conclusion on previous assessments and, assuming nothing has changed, will do so again.
  • Leavemealone
    Leavemealone Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I apologize if I have posted offensively, this was never my intention.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    that wasn't aimed at you, it's a warning about posters who post less than reliable information and enjoy the attention they create
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I can understand that being interviewed again by DWP must be annoying and frustrating (to say the least) but you will have to comply with their requests. As has been said by others, your situation was examined previously and it was determined that you were not living as a couple. There is no reason to believe that this time round will be any different.

As you will discover, with any open forum you will inevitably come across some 'information' and 'advice' from individuals who clearly live in their own fantasy world. I agree with much of what NeilCr posted in #26 above but not the section about being wary if no link is provided.
    I worked for DWP for a number of years and very rarely provide links when queries are of a fairly general nature. I don't believe that makes my contributions any less valid.
  • benidorm59
    benidorm59 Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 May 2018 at 6:57PM
    Reading the OPs post, the DWP assumed LTHAW did a visit then a SDM did a decision found them not living together and paid them. They never usually suspend the benefit until a decision has been made.
    I think now this new letter and interview for one of them may be to do with something else. Though a case is always reviewed every twelve months for living together if the circumstances haven't changed. Think if the benefit is suspended this time before a new decision is made an official complaint should be made or MP involved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure