PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

questions to ask when viewing rental flat

2»

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 March 2018 at 6:22PM
    If the landlord says so and so will be fixed/cleaned by time they move in it won't be.

G_M's guide for England and Wales
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5180214&highlight=
  • Agree with the above.

She would also do well to be able to recognise the smell of damp (a great hazard in basement flats)
    I like to ask a couple of questions on a viewing to test the landlord's knowledge of housing law - casual questions about whether or not the deposit will be protected and which scheme they will use (a legal requirement) and how much notice they will give prior to an inspection (24 hours is the legal requirement). If the LL looks flustered or confused, it's a good sign you should run away.

Other things to ask
    - is the heating gas or electric - electric will cost her more money to run
    - how much is the council tax (though she can find it out herself)
    - when is the property available from (if there are currently tenants there)
    - if she wants to have a bike, can she park it indoors, and if she has a car is there parking?

And always ask to see a copy of the tenancy agreement prior to signing, and negotiate with the landlord to amend it as necessary. I've seen some bizarre clauses that would have left me liable for clearing the gutters 3 floors up in a block of flats with no equipment provided, for instance)
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Your daughter has Zero credit history well maybe a mobile phone contact this year.
    Is she working ? Can you and your husband at as guarantors ?
    Does she have any idea of how much it costs to set up home ?
    Paying for council tax, rent, gas electric cable and water ?
    Contents insurance ?
    Ground rent or management charges.
    Deposit, tenancy set up fees, holding fee ? Any other fees the letting agents can make up.
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'd ask how long the previous tenant was there for: it can be a good indicator of what the place is like. Also, if it appears the tenant is still in residence and you/she/her Dad is cheeky enough, call around early evening when there is a chance they'll be in and talk to them.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Is it going to be managed by the landlord directly or by a letting agent. If an agent how much are each of their fees? Typically admin, drawing up tenancy agreement, referencing including gurantor, check in, check out, renewal etc.

How long is the property available for? What will be on offer after the fixed term, another fixed term or periodic. Check tenancy agreement including for break clauses.

If white goods provided who pays to maintain the them such as washing machine. If they are not provided then note what space is available and budget to buy your own.

Probably better for the settee/bed to go so daughter can get her own but as you say you need to check if that's the case.

You should get any promises made confirmed in writing as agents can so easily "forget" what they offered.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks for all your further tips and advice. Apparently the place is lovely and she is keen to move in. My last question, and I have emailed the rental agency and am awaiting a reply, is how people in rented flats go about getting internet connection if it's not there already. Would a landlord normally allow a broadband company to be drilling into their walls for cables? Obviously the tenant would be paying for this.
    thanks
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 12:02PM
    *Usually* there's already a phone socket and line in place and you just order a package from your provider of choice. They would send you a router in the post which would give you wifi.

You can check the address using an ISP website (others available!) e.g.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/broadband/availability/
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You cant get cable if youre not in a cable area but if cables already installed in the area you just open an account online with Virgin, otherwise it'll be through the BT line. Usually the box is already in so often free reconnection & go on a comparison site to get the best deal, talk talk, plus net, BT, whoever, it all comes down the BT box & you pay whoever you go with as provider.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Check who owns it for £3 from land registry - see if landlord name matches. If it doesn't, walk.
    WiFi may be provided - I do for one property -100 mbos
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    WiFi may be provided - I do for one property -100 mbos

You may provide 100mbit WiFi but do you also provide an internet connection?

You could advertise you have 100 mbit WiFi included in your property and simply have a router with no access to the internet. So many people just assume if it's WiFi then it provides a connection to the internet. I'm surprised i have never heard of anyone taking advantage of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure