IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

URGENT: UKPC & SCS Law

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,155
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Immy_007 wrote: »
    You deny the debt, of course.

What happened when you complained to the manager/CEO of ASDA?

So once i deny it then what grounds can i contest the charge?

The NEWBIES is full of reasons for contesting this. Not the landowner, no standing to issue charges in their name, Non POFA 2012 comliant NTK, inadequate signage to name but a few.

I also believe the ASDA manager was lying or mistaken. They normally do own the site. You can check this with the Land Registry for a few quid. If it comes back as saying ASDA do own the land, you go back and point this out to the manager. ASDA employed the scammers anyway so can cancel this. You need to push them really hard, especially if you can show receipts and bank statements to show you are (but not for much longer) a genuine and previously loyal customer.

Also show the manager what MPs said about the unregulated parking industry, and UKPC in particular.

Complain to your MP as well.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Immy_007
    Immy_007 Posts: 92 Forumite
    i have just cjecked the signage..it states Emersons Group logo on there
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,155
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    i have just cjecked the signage..it states Emersons Group logo on there

OK, so ASDA don't own the land, but neither do UKPC.

Once you have got your letter/email off to the scammer's solicitors, you could try contacting Emersons to ask if they have a contract with UKPC that allows them to take people to court for parking on their land and spending money in the retail outlets.
    Do some research to find out who to contact, and do it in writing.

You should still complain again to the manager/CEO, showing them what MPs have said about UKPC.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2018 at 12:51PM
    4 separate occasions it was and they are demanding £130 per day..i was told to ignore it as they can't enforce it which i did and after 2 years i get this letter

can you clarify

you SHOPPED at asda on 4 occasions and exceeded to time that you were allowed

or did you just dump your car on land you thought was owned by asda , and wandered off shopping elsewhere

also , what are the dates of the tickets
  • Immy_007
    edited 2 March 2018 at 3:21PM
    can you clarify

you SHOPPED at asda on 4 occasions and exceeded to time that you were allowed

or did you just dump your car on land you thought was owned by asda , and wandered off shopping elsewhere

also , what are the dates of the tickets

on four different dates

22/12/16
    23/12/16
    12/01/17
    13/01/17

The Driver overstayed and i was not aware of the time limit so i left the car whole day and wandered off as the driver thought it was owned by asda

whatever the intention was and purpose of stay does this affect their right to demand money? and also my right to defend?
  • twhitehousescat
    Forumite
    did you ACTUALLY use asda , or just dump your car on there land and wander off ?

if you were a GENUINE customer , then YES tackle asda/emersons , but if you were just using the car park as a "freebie" instead of paying for alternative parking , then UKPC acting on authority of the landowner , can indeed take you to court

NOTE: under uk law , the max chargable per parking event is £100
  • Immy_007
    edited 2 March 2018 at 3:22PM
    did you ACTUALLY use asda , or just dump your car on there land and wander off ?

if you were a GENUINE customer , then YES tackle asda/emersons , but if you were just using the car park as a "freebie" instead of paying for alternative parking , then UKPC acting on authority of the landowner , can indeed take you to court

NOTE: under uk law , the max chargable per parking event is £100

Yes driver was a genuine customer and did leave the car there thinking it was free all day and wander off as the signs were not adequate.
  • twhitehousescat
    Forumite
    POPLA? bit late for that now
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,432
    Forumite
    As Twhitehousescat says: too late for PoPLA.

Anyway that PoPLA appeal is way too old using out of date arguments.
  • twhitehousescat
    Forumite
    you need to get clear pics of the signage , showing the lack of time limit

UKPC will produce there signs in court , showing max stay , so you need signage that shows you were mislead into thinking it was "free all day parking"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure