PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,581
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Thanks, silvasaver, I'm really pleased with it.
    Forgot to say that the silica bag and a slip of paper with printed numbers on (I think this was some sort of quality control) were still in the pocket.
    silvasava wrote: »
    Polly - maybe you need a pedometer? I use on just to make sure I move enough! It can be very surprising how much or how little you move.
    Re this:
    I went out yesterday at 10:30 on my round of the village shops and didn't get home until 1:30.
    I was walking all the time, either between shops or round shops (apart from browsing time) and then walked home as I'd just missed a bus - they are every 20 minutes and it takes me 15 minutes to walk the 3/4 mile home.
    Lots of exercise. :D
    I'd also got 6 kilo of meat in my trolley as well as all the other shopping.

I might get a pedometer as I do lots of (town/village) walking and even in the house am always on the go - just out of curiosity.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,887
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 February 2018 at 10:01AM
    Pollycat wrote: »
    My latest bargain - that I had to leave on the rail and have a wander round to think about before going back in and buying - was an AIGLE trenchcoat/raincoat.
    I'd not heard of this make before but it really shouted 'quality' in the fabric and style.

Ooooh nice bargain! Aigle seems to be sold in those pawsh sort of gardening centres that also sell huntin' shootin' fishin' clothing, (there's a big one near Thirsk...[STRIKE]can't remember the name[/STRIKE] Sam Turner's! I used to have a pair of their wellyboots yonks ago.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pollycat - I've had a number of pedometers over the years - mainly because they clip on the waistband and I've lost them down the loo when I go to sit down (TMI?) I'm now using one that can clip in the middle of my bra (or on a waistband) Its a Jawbone Up Move - you can get them for about a tenner now on line. They work by bluetooth on your phone. I recommended one to a friend who was considering buying a posh one for about £170!! She's delighted with it. It will measure your steps and your sleep patterns - probably do other things but I really just use it to give me an indication of steps.
    Off to local village today as DH is on a ride with his mate so I'll have time to trawl the CS ;)
    Happy Hunting everyone!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Aigle is a fairly well known brand for equestrian gear; the coat sounds like a good bargain.

Saw some B&H sets in a chazzer window display for Valentines this week and thought of you all...
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,395
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Did anther round of charity shops in a different town. Bought a book for £1.65 and a Pyrex pie dish for £1.25. I have been looking for more pie dishes for months. I like to freeze the pies in the dishes.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My trawl of the local CS didn't turn up anything for me. Everything that was decent wasn't in my size :( Didn't find DH any books he wanted but did see some he already had in hardback which he prefers - they were 99p each and looked in excellent condition so might pop back tomorrow and get them for him
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    More than a dash, and it refuses to freeze :o

Yes, shame that:D
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 February 2018 at 7:30PM
    We found a pancheon! Himself had been looking for one of these vintage bread making bowls for about 8 years & today was his lucky day.

Twenty three quid strikes me as a completely can't decide between £20 & £25 price but reproductions start around £80 now.

There's some little old lady in her 80s in a carehome but her family dumped all her cooking gear (possibly all her mother's?!) into the hospice charity shop & Himself is drooling slightly over the idea of getting back Monday to have a look at what they haven't had time to sort yet...

The tool stall had a couple of good old fashioned solid metal Stanley knives - so that's middleson's yearning for a proper Stanley sorted. He can do the work with a bit of wire wool to bring it up to repaintable condition but it's *effective* now. For a pound. The modern Chinese-made plastic moulded things cost more!

Me? A single simple Langley Lucerne teapot, for fifty pence. Can't fault it at that price!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,581
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    We found a pancheon! Himself had been looking for one of these vintage bread making bowls for about 8 years & today was his lucky day.

Twenty three quid strikes me as a completely can't decide between £20 & £25 price but reproductions start around £80 now.

There's some little old lady in her 80s in a carehome but her family dumped all her cooking gear (possibly all her mother's?!) into the hospice charity shop & Himself is drooling slightly over the idea of getting back Monday to have another look...

Well, I didn't know that was how you spelled it.
    A proper old one?
    Would you use it?
    Any base stamp?
    If it's still there, will he buy it?

I remember the dark brown glazed one my Mum used to use to make bread.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,395
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Murphybear wrote: »
    Nothing like home made ice cream:D. Last lot I made was chocolate and orange with a dash of Cointreau

Over the weekend I have been given homemade rhubarb and crumble ice-cream. It was delicious. I’ve asked for an ice cream maker plus some small tubs to store it in for hubby and my birthday ( a joint present as our birthdays are only a few days apart). I cannot wait. I’ll be asking for recipes.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family