Sashybo - Back Again

Comments

• sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Well have had quite a busy second half of the day, a bit spendy but also bargainous (is that a word?:o).

Was browsing prams online to see what was out there that wouldn't cost an absolute fortune & came across a decent one (Silver cr0ss) at a good price. It's a buggy that you can convert to flat for a newborn (with the appropriate & expensive-ish accessory pack of course). :cool: Showed DH & he said yeah we can have a look at it. It also has adaptors so you can slot the carseat into the buggy (the same brand one of course, cos that's another way to make more money).

He then found the same pram plus car seat for £280 altogether somewhere else online - the first place I saw it was £200 for the pram alone & around £135 for the car seat. DH then entered a web chat with the first place as they had a price match policy. They said they wouldn't match that deal as it wasn't in the UK (the shop was in Belfast :rotfl:). DH said Belfast is still the UK, they said it wasn't again then changed their minds & said they wouldn't price match as it wasn't mainland UK. DH then checked the Ts & Cs on their website - it didn't say mainland UK, just UK. They eventually reluctantly agreed to price match so we said we would take the deal once we visited the shop if the pram was OK for us & we liked it when we saw it.

We headed out to the shop, had a shot of it & a good look at both it and the car seat and decided to go for it. So DH's bargaining skills saved us around £55. :j:j:T

Still needed the accessory pack so we could use it from birth but no way were we paying £75 for it. Found it in the m0thercare sale for £25 so another £50 saved. :j And most of it will be paid for by the money DH gets from the cash health plan we get through work (I don't get it as on the company sponsored level, DH pays for the next level as it givers you higher spends in all the categories). :beer:

We'll probably get the isofix base for the car seat so it slots in & may get a base for each car but they're around £120-£130 each so a bit pricey. Proud of DH for his money saving today. :D
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • A bargainous day indeed. :T
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • sashybo
    Thanks boxofpaws, we're quite happy with the savings we made (I'm sure you can't tell :rotfl:).

Had another go at driving the new car yesterday & felt a bit better but know it will take a good while to get used to it.

Having a lazy day here & heading out for dinner later with our friends. Won't be a big spend or a late night so not too bad of us. :)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The husbands new car had lived with us for 1 month before I dared get behind the wheel. I was sweating and shaking by the time I pulled over. It's a 3 litre monster and (terrifyingly:D) it's an automatic. I didn't touch it again for 5 months but I forced myself to learn so that I could borrow it when I do the journey to the other office for work, because there's lots of motorway and hills. I don't know what my problem was, I LOVE driving the car now. And you will too.

Enjoy your lazy day :)
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Amazing that they didn't know their geography before setting a price guarantee!

Thanks for the reassurance on my car situation too. And I think most adults are the same as you say, wanting to be able to do things first time. When you look at how little kids learn it's so different.

Boxofpaws we were given an automatic at one point. I loved it. But so glad to have learned in a manual for that freedom of choice.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • sashybo
    boxofpaws wrote: »
    The husbands new car had lived with us for 1 month before I dared get behind the wheel. I was sweating and shaking by the time I pulled over. It's a 3 litre monster and (terrifyingly:D) it's an automatic. I didn't touch it again for 5 months but I forced myself to learn so that I could borrow it when I do the journey to the other office for work, because there's lots of motorway and hills. I don't know what my problem was, I LOVE driving the car now. And you will too.

Enjoy your lazy day :)

Thanks boxofpaws, it's getting easier every time I drive it but still feel apprehensive.
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Amazing that they didn't know their geography before setting a price guarantee!

Thanks for the reassurance on my car situation too. And I think most adults are the same as you say, wanting to be able to do things first time. When you look at how little kids learn it's so different.

Boxofpaws we were given an automatic at one point. I loved it. But so glad to have learned in a manual for that freedom of choice.

Yes Bob a bit worrying (for them) :cool: but they had corrected it within minutes of agreeing to the price match for us to mainland UK. :rotfl:

Yes I think everyone hates to look stupid. :o I've always had a bit of a temper and wanted to do things perfectly straight away though. My mum likes to tell me the story of learning to tie my laces and getting so frustrated when I couldn't do it straight away that the shoe was launched across the room and into a huff I went. :rotfl:
  • sashybo
    Had a nice day yesterday relaxing and we had a nice dinner out with our friends. We went for tapas to a place that is normally very friendly but they were a bit odd last night. :cool:

Couldn't seem to find our booking, ummed & ahhed and then gave us a table and proceeded to ignore us for half an hour! Not even any drinks and expertly avoiding eye contact. :mad: Would have left at this point but it was freezing and didn't fancy trailing around looking for somewhere else on a Saturday night without a booking. The food was nice but not altogether a great experience service-wise.

I drove us home so more practice in the new car and slowly getting a bit better. It's parking it & remembering how to use the electronic handbrake which are my main issues at the moment. :o

Off out for lunch with some girls from school shortly, one of whom is about 10 weeks further on in her pregnancy than me, so not long to go for her. :eek: Will give me a chance to practice driving the new car again as only going local and can have a wee practice at parking (please don't let anyone be watching though :rotfl:).
  • sashybo
    Had a nice lunch with my friends yesterday & executed an excellent reverse park in the new car if I do say so myself. :rotfl:

Although a woman then proceeded to drive into the space next to me far too close to the line (I was in the middle of my space). She somehow managed to shimmy out of her driver side door without whacking my car but when I opened my door it was going to take too much manoeuvring for me with my small baby bump, I probably could have done it but why should I, I had parked properly! :mad: :eek: I just drove out of the space & reversed back to give myself more room on that side. Just annoyed me as there was no need & if I'd come back to that I would have struggled to get into my car on the driver's side. :mad:

Anyway, enough parking rage (really annoys me how selfish/thoughtless/lazy some people are when parking).:mad:

Today has been a partly lazy, partly productive day. Managed to finish clearing the wardrobe in what will be the baby's room, along with emptying & reorganising the guest room wardrobe. Have rehomed some things, chucked some things & have some stuff for the charity bins at the supermarket. Recycling bin is now nearly overflowing, glad it gets emptied in a couple of days.

DH & I stripped the bed & put the sheets in the wash this morning. Still need to put clean sheets on the bed though (the worst part). Did my big pile of ironing last night & also a washing of towels. Really need to clean the bathrooms but will try & do that tomorrow.

Baby has been very active today, moving about, kicking & punching. Always likes to do this more when DH is around as well which is quite funny. :D

We're dropping my mum off tomorrow morning for a cataract op so have to be up pretty early. Think we'll try & do a top-up shop at Aldis on the way back & maybe get some other shopping done if we can. Have to pick her up again in the afternoon so may go for lunch depending on how she's feeling. Last day off tomorrow before back to work so don't want to do anything too energetic. :o
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Gosh aren't people irritating that park too close. Sorry your favourite place had an off day too. Sounds a bit rude to leave you sat for so long.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm slightly worrying that it was me who parked too close. I sometimes walk back to my car and wonder if it was really me who put it there. :o
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport