DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Comments

• just seen this when i logged in to the account

07/04/2016 SAC ACCRUED 1P ADJUSTMENT £8.70CR
    07/04/2016 SAC ACCRUED FC ADJUSTMENT £8.70

does this mean they are stopping interest/refudning charges? it also said at the top of the page your account is now being managed by a third party
    Love my DMP left to pay £0/ £10162.51 :beer:
    Est DFD 11/2018
    Actual DFD 09/2017
    £2 savers club: number 88 £14 so far!
    Wombling free number 41 £6 so far!!
    Emergency fund £50/£1000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    grant1wish wrote: »
    I managed to get BC to stop interest about 2 years in to my DMP. I made a £5 payment for 2 months, and when I spoke to a lady on the phone she put the account on hold for 30 days. Whilst on hold there was no interest, and although the account isn't on hold any longer, the interest never started back up.

I did ring them several times and this lady was really helpful. However previous communications were not so fruitful.

We had to reduce payments to £5 for 3 months before I got my few hours a week job, but that didn't help with BC.....for the last 3 months our debts with them have actually gone up as the amount of interest they have added, is more than the £5 we were paying!:mad: Then they had the nerve to send a letter telling us we were in arrears!!! :rotfl:
  • Pc2003
    Pc2003 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Hello!
    I have just registered and made a post about not being able to stop spending and saw this thread and thought it looked perfect!
    I have been on a sc dmp for 3 ish years. It all worked fine and most of my creditors have now passed it to other companies and I hear very little now...
    But... I do have a spending problem. I can't seem to live within my fairly reasonable means. And I feel things slipping again.
    I need to get a grip on it before it's too late
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pc2003 wrote: »
    Hello!
    I have just registered and made a post about not being able to stop spending and saw this thread and thought it looked perfect!
    I have been on an sc dmp for 3 ish years. It all worked fine and most of my creditors have now passed it to other companies and I hear very little now...
    But... I do have a spending problem. I can't seem to live within my fairly reasonable means. And I feel things slipping again.
    I need to get a grip on it before it's too late

I'm finding last3 yrs difficult during DMP.

Spending is a big part of that.

It's like i'm craving to return to my old ways of purchasing tech gadgets.
    4k t.v. is very tempting though certainly not a necessity ;)

Last 3yrs -I know I want to finish it though it's taking ages.

(I have m.s. a few months after SC DMP, staying home after work keeps the techy craving.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Pc2003
    I seem to have a bit of a problem with marks and Spencer's. They moved next to my work about a yr ago and I need to stay away from that place.
    I can't afford it. Need to stay away.
    For me, now things are quietly ticking along I have noticed the odd card limit increase, or new offer come thru and I leap at them. Need to stop now.
    Out of interest... And I know everyone is different, but once people's fuel, food bills and everything is accounted for what are you actually left with per month to spend on... I seem to feel the need to have cash on my
    wallet. Even tho I don't really have anything to spend it on...
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I seem to have a bit of a problem with marks and Spencer's.

I started reading and thought you were going to have a problem with an M&S credit card :D
    They moved next to my work about a yr ago and I need to stay away from that place.

Now I see your problem;) Print off a copy of MSE's Money Mantra card and stick it in your wallet/purse. Every time you think about buying something, in M&S or elsewhere, pull out the card and apply the rules. I also have a piece of paper in my purse with the amount of debt I am in written on it. I pull it out before making a purchase of something other than groceries and 9 times out of 10 I put that item back on the shelf after looking at my debt total.
    For me, now things are quietly ticking along I have noticed the odd card limit increase, or new offer come thru and I leap at them. Need to stop now.
    Out of interest... And I know everyone is different, but once people's fuel, food bills and everything is accounted for what are you actually left with per month to spend on... I seem to feel the need to have cash on my wallet. Even tho I don't really have anything to spend it on...

We now have £10 per month each (hubby and I) for spending on things for us. That could be lunch at work as a treat instead of taking home-made lunch in, or something we want as a treat. Or it could be a night out at the cinema (we have to pool our money then, but we do try and find free cinema ticket offers as and when we can). Often we don't spend all of our £10. That £10 is over and above groceries, clothing budgets. It really is our treat money.

Sometimes being on a DMP feels hard, but overall we are so much happier than we were pre-DMP days.:T
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    I seem to have a bit of a problem with marks and Spencer's. They moved next to my work about a yr ago and I need to stay away from that place.
    Out of interest... And I know everyone is different, but once people's fuel, food bills and everything is accounted for what are you actually left with per month to spend on... I seem to feel the need to have cash on my
    wallet. Even tho I don't really have anything to spend it on...

I sympathise : I have joined debtors anonymous, although it's more about not acquiring unsecured debt rather than not spending but there are some connections and I do find it relevant.

The pre-purchase thoughts that work for me are:
    how much of my food budget is this costing me,
    Then do I need it, can I afford it, have I got something I could use instead, can I manage till payday without it and can I get it cheaper elsewhere. I realise that's one heck of mantra, but it does work for me most of the time.
    I also try to delete emails about travel; hotel offers; other unnecessary treats without reading them unless I'm looking for something specific.

If I've cash in my pocket I tend to spend it, though I also don't like being moneyless, makes me feel vulnerable somehow.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Pc2003
    I'm currently going thru my emails and unsubscribing to all of them. Like someone said its hard not to look at them so getting rid of them!!
  • Pc2003 wrote: »
    I have noticed the odd card limit increase, or new offer come thru and I leap at them.

Hi pc2003 :hello:

Did anyone tell you when you started your DMP that you are not supposed to have any credit available or take on any new credit? I know you are definitely not the only one to do this but if Stepchange find out, you are putting your DMP at risk. It may help as motivation to curb your spending too.

My DMP secret was always charity shops and carboot sales and I still can't resist them now I am debt free. Today I am dressed in Per Una top and trousers, both bought brand new with labels still on at a fraction of the M&S price, from British Heart Foundation and Mr TTFTM is wearing a Gant shirt from Roy Castle. I think it was £3.99 and they are around £75 normally.

You can still shop but do it MSE style :money:

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Pc2003
    Hi!
    Ye I have read/heard of that but a couple of my cards had tiny balances and were paid off recently so they came off the dmp but I then got new cards, bigger limits and you know the rest...
    It's so silly as the I run the joint finances really well and never over spend on that side.
    I just need to get in the habit of paying off stuff, not spending on stuff.
    I don't wear designer clothes really or have an expensive car. It's mainly things like food. We have plenty of food at home but I will go out and buy lunch plus drink and magazine... It all adds up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure