Getting & staying debt free, whatever happens!

Comments

• Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yay! Was talking about this situation with my mum and she offered to lend me the money to clear the Tesco card and I can pay her back in a few months with the inheritance I!!!8217;m expecting. She thought it!!!8217;d be easier to focus on just throwing everything at the other debt and get that cleared and this way there!!!8217;s no interest to pay. If there was an issue with the inheritance I!!!8217;ll clear my £1,100 savings to pay her most of it and then set up a standing order for a small amount each month. I don!!!8217;t have any reason to think there will be an issue but it makes me feel better to have a plan for either way.

So debt now as follows:

CC (Barclaycard) - £2,182.17 (0% deal for next 25 months).

Mum - £1,680 (no rush to pay back right now or interest charges)

MIL - £3,500 (ditto no rush to pay back or interest charges)

The good thing about my mum lending me the money is I feel much more accountable and determined to turn our situation around when I owe her money instead of Tesco Bank - I!!!8217;m so grateful and I certainly won!!!8217;t be using the cards again as I!!!8217;d have to fess up to her!

Plan of action - tackle Halifax and I!!!8217;d love to get it paid off before Christmas when this baby is due! I should be able to pay it all off when this inheritance comes in as it ought to be enough to pay it all plus a holiday - but even without accounting for that I want it gone ASAP.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Bluegreen143
    Just a quick update :) Had a couple of spends today which I!!!8217;ll sit down and update on YNAB and here tomorrow, just off to bed now. Included £40 for private scan which showed a healthy baby, yay :) husband had to buy some wood screws and I got a couple of bits from the food budget too.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • RhiBi
    RhiBi Posts: 702 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fantastic news on the scan, congratulations x
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • Bluegreen143
    Just sorting out what we've spent over the last couple of days:

Friday

£3.20 - £2 entry to playgroup + a pack of biscuits to donate in
    £?? - I know husband bought a bottle of vodka, I think that was all, but it's not showing on his statement yet and he's still in bed as little monkey is at his grandparents' house. Need to get DH trained to keep receipts again! Will update once I've spoken to him.

Saturday

£40 - private scan cost
    £11.43 - on wood screws - unbudgeted for, but DH insists they are necessary for a project he wants to do today. TBF it's a good day for him to do it with little monkey away
    £19.98 - petrol which should do us til next payday especiallu if I'm careful about how much I'm driving
    £6.90 - Tesco - I was feeling very queasy and food-averse yesterday but on the way home got a craving for noodles (not the lovely fresh kind). I NEVER buy junk food for myself so DH was gobsmacked when I came in with 4x pot noodles and a bag of onion ring crisps. Also bought coffee as DH running out.
    £?? - DH got a taxi home from his friend's poker night last night. They don't play for money and his friend kindly picked him up so that will have been his only cost minus the vodka he's already bought.

Once DH is up and I've fully updated YNAB I will come back on to update my categories.
  • Bluegreen143
    Did the weekly mealplanning and shopping yesterday. My mum and sister have very kindly cooked me some meals to help as I'm feeling so nauseous, so I'll be using those up over the next couple of weeks - they've been delicious so far :)

Weekly mealplan
    M - veggie lasagne (made by my sister)
    T - tuna & cheese baked potatoes
    W - slow cooked veg pasta (from freezer)
    T - corned beef hash
    F - HM pizza
    S - cottage pie (made by my mum)
    S - out for a family lunch so will probably just have soup or sandwiches if we're hungry later

As you can see, I'm trying to reduce actual cooking as much as possible. Hopefully this nausea passes ASAP and I can get back to my OS ways in the kitchen! As you'll see from my shopping below, I've bought more snacky things than usual too, though nothing too budget-busting

Here's what I bought yesterday at Lidl:

Food £30.74
    Cola x2
    Whole milk 4pt x2
    Pasta shapes x2
    Ice cream
    Own brand Twixes
    Lettuce
    Cucumber
    Carrots
    Family pack ham
    Bananas
    Baby plum tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Oatcakes
    Broccoli
    Tin tomato soup
    Tin baked beans
    Tuna 4pk
    Corned beef tin
    Passatta
    Grapes
    Mozzarella
    Pineapple
    Potatoes
    Greek yoghurt
    Lemons
    Bread
    Salted butter
    Pears
    Orange squash

Household 39p
    Shower gel

Husband spends £13.58
    Beer x12

I also went to Tesco and spent £13.40 from my birthday gift fund on a gift for BIL's girlfriend's birthday and a wee plant for husband's aunt's birthday. I keep a stock of cards I got cheap so no need to buy those.

Will update YNAB category balances tonight as I've moved things around a little.

I have to confess to a silly thing I've done :o my part time work from home is pretty handy but I need to log a minimum of 5 hours a week (but I can only do one hour a day). This week I entirely forgot about it on Saturday so I haven't met my minimum hours. When I've not met it in the past I've just had a warning but there is always the chance I'll be taken off the project so do keep everything crossed for me. It's awfully dull but the extra £150-£200 a month is needed at the moment!
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I used to do some home based internet work ' tedious' as it was accurately known, mine died a death when the project got pulled but I feel your pain. Hope they just 'remind' you.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,158 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hope the project works out.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Bluegreen143
    Thanks ladies. A tiny part of me wouldn't mind as it is just so dull (tedious is the right word Redofromstart!) and I'd love to get than hour each evening back - but I did promise DH I would try to earn some income when I became a SAHM and I can't find anything else so easy & flexible that pays £10 an hour.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,158 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Thanks ladies. A tiny part of me wouldn't mind as it is just so dull (tedious is the right word Redofromstart!) and I'd love to get than hour each evening back - but I did promise DH I would try to earn some income when I became a SAHM and I can't find anything else so easy & flexible that pays £10 an hour.

Wish I could find something easy & flexible that pays 1o quid a hour.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Bluegreen143
    Beanielou I will PM you a link as you’re not meant to discuss. I’ve been doing it 7-8 months and so far so good though super boring I just warn you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure