PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Government announces new measures to clean up the house-buying market

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 10 April 2018 at 2:49PM in House buying, renting & selling
Estate agents in England will be required to hold a professional qualification as part of new measures to clean up the house-buying market, the Government has announced...
Read the full story:
'Government announces new measures to clean up the house-buying market'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Is this a joke?

What 'professional qualification' will be required. Chartered Surveyor would be useful but overkill.

Some institutions will jump on the bandwagon and set up courses that for a few hundred pounds will give 'students' a set of meaningless letters after their name.

https://www.propertypersonnel.co.uk/blog/do-i-need-a-qualification-to-become-an-estate-agent/
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Won`t be hard to get a certificate, how does this clean anything up? Best way to clean it up is to get them rates up!:rotfl:
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    And exactly how will this stop the vendor puling out the day before exchange?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ProDave wrote: »

I guess that what the deposit part is for.

You could also exchange earlier in the process - like the Scottish system of missives.
  • smipsy
    smipsy Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    maybe they should finish with their letting fees ban before they invent new "measures" to "help"
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Most people seem to think something has to change.
    Change has got to start somewhere.
    You can refine it later.

An Estate Agent is simply a salesman.(salesperson)

They firstly have to sell their firm's services to the property owner, then sell/rent the property to prospective buyers/tenants.

The price is largely determined by the area - a 3 bed terraced house in South Shields will sell/rent for less than a similar property in Mayfair!

Legislation introduced a few years ago means sales particulars have to be accurate, or include a disclaimer.

So what professional qualifications will clean up the property market?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "Estate agents will now be required to hold a professional qualification"

Which ones? Everyone in the EA's office? Valuers, negotiators, admin staff? Cleaners? Or just the business owner?

"Housing Secretary Sajid Javid said: Buying a home is one of the biggest and most important purchases someone will make in their life. But for far too long buyers and sellers have been trapped in a stressful system full of delays and uncertainty.

(To which my response is - "change the system", but ... )

So we are going to put the consumers back in the driving seat. We will require estate agents to hold a qualification so that people are no longer at risk from a minority of rogue agents and can trust the process when buying or selling their home."

To my mind, the solution doesn't match the problem...
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    ProDave wrote: »
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I guess that what the deposit part is for.

You could also exchange earlier in the process - like the Scottish system of missives.

How will a buyer's non-refundable deposit prevent a vendor from pulling out?

The buyer paying a non-refundable deposit will not prevent gazumping, as it isn't the buyer who allows this to occur, but rather the vendor. :doh:

And I haven't even started on the stupidity of requiring a buyer to put down a non-refundable deposit before they've seen the results of local searches or a survey.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    How will a buyer's non-refundable deposit prevent a vendor from pulling out?

The buyer paying a non-refundable deposit will not prevent gazumping, as it isn't the buyer who allows this to occur, but rather the vendor. :doh:

And I haven't even started on the stupidity of requiring a buyer to put down a non-refundable deposit before they've seen the results of local searches or a survey.

Foreign legal systems do have many idiosyncrasies ;)
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Most people seem to think something has to change.
    Change has got to start somewhere.
    You can refine it later.

Fixing the system is laudable but starting with the premise that "Something has to change so change something. Decide later whether it was helpful" seems to me to be the wrong way round.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure