Glass cleaner

Options
xyz123
xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi, any recommendations for a decent glass cleaner for car windows. When wiping side windows I can see rainbow colour film so I guess that shows some oil from car fumes. I wanted to remove this. Ta.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 1:18PM
    Options
    +1, the above is really good.

Also get a good micro fibre cloth for windows, the waffle weave type are my favourite. Alternatively, try scrunched up newspaper.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Any alcohol based glass clear will do, DO NOT use windolene or normal household glass cleaners, as these leave a film.

I have two glass cleaners, one is RainX cleaner (not the rain repellent).

The other is some huge can of stuff that's about 20 years old and strangely enough it's the best window/glass cleaner i've ever used! Just can't use it in an enclosed space as it's got a tonne of alcohol in it.

Another option I may explore when that ^^ runs out, is buying isopropyl alcohol (known as IPA or Isopropanol) in bulk and using it mixed 50/50 with water. I already use this for camera lenses and it's pretty unbeatable.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use Autoglym Fast Glass, no problems with film or smearing, £6.19 in Halfrauds.

https://www.autoglym.com/fast-glass
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Soapy water in a spray bottle.
  • ossie
    ossie Posts: 354 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Free. Wet glass. Use a newspaper to clean.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xyz123 wrote: »
    Hi, any recommendations for a decent glass cleaner for car windows. When wiping side windows I can see rainbow colour film so I guess that shows some oil from car fumes. I wanted to remove this. Ta.

" a rainbow colour film"... :rotfl:

The clue is in the name. Do you worry every time you see a rainbow that this is due to oil from car fumes in the atmosphere?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    " a rainbow colour film"... :rotfl:

The clue is in the name. Do you worry every time you see a rainbow that this is due to oil from car fumes in the atmosphere?

Well the media feeds us images of steam (power station cooling towers), when they want to tell us about climate warming, global change, whatever.

Is this any more ridiculous? ;)
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Vinegar and newspaper
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business