Tried switching accounts now in limbo

Hi all i have a rubbish credit file but am trying to bring it back good.

I tried to switch my basic nationwide account to hsbc basic account all seemed fine choose to use the switch service.
Received all the paper work bank card pin number registered for online banking.
Went to a cash machine to activate my card as advised to be told rejected, called the bank to be told the account is in the process of being closed......after several hours on the phone they say i do not meet the criteria.
So call nationwide and they tell me the switch has gone ahead they have closed my account and all monies are with hsbc.
Call hsbc back and told they have rejected the payment transfer and now not sure what to do as neither bank seems to know if i will have an account or where my money has gone.
I have dd and payments supposedly going in/out tomorrow and I dont know what to do.
Please can anyone help.

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Sounds a bit of a mess to me but there are two things you can do

the first is to go back to Nationwide and ask if you can reopen your account there. if they say they won't then you'll have to shop around and try and get a basic bank account opened

once you have a sort code and account number you should be able to get your money sent to it

The other thing you should do is work out what your losses are and complain to HSBC under the current account switching service guarantee which guarantees that you will not lose anything as a result of a switc. yes they did close the account down but they definitely opened it first and so you should be able to claim. Keeps a debit card as proof that you were a customer. if no help from hsbc then complain to the ombudsman about HSBC I think you should get a substantial amount of compensation

it would be different if HSBC had rejected your application straight away that is just normal and to be expected but to go ahead with the application, open the account and then suddenly mid switch close it down is definitely not on
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    PS forgot to mention that you have standing orders going out tomorrow you cannot let these bounce otherwise it will adversely affect your credit rating even more y

you need to get a payment to each by alternative method to at least tide you over for this month until it is sorted out

I don't know if you have parents friends etc etc who can ring up the companies concerned and make this month's payment by debit card

if suddenly you get several direct debits failing that will go against your credit report and it will be hell to unwind. If it happened to me i would not settle for less than £500 from HSBC as this is going to cause you an awful lot of trouble
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure