Vanquis late payment

My Vanquis Card payment was due 7th of June but I didn’t pay til today 14th June

I forgot I had a balance on my account as it was only £2.00. They charged a late payment of £12.00 but this was refunded after I called in. The girl on the phone was sweet but didn’t know much about late payments or credit files and just said “yeah, it’s a late payment you’ll get a late payment mark”.

Just a shame as I’m a long term customer who ALWAYS paid in full with no late payments ever.

Will this be marked as a late payment on my credit file? Or is it only payments that are 30 days or more late? Can anyone tell me?

Hope I haven’t made a huge mistake.

Thank you.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It may or it may not, it depends entirely on the policies of the individual card company.
  • It may do..

But then again it is an accurate representation of what happened.

They've refunded the charge but they're not obliged to remove the marker
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there

Given that they have agreed to remove the late payment charge as a gesture of goodwill, if they do register a late payment marker ask for that to be removed as well. They don't have to agree but if it was a genuine oversight, and given how small the payment was, they may well do.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thanks Susie.

Should I wait until my next credit report to check if they actually do issue a late payment marker on there before asking?

Is it better to ask over the phone or in writing?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You should be contacting them now.
  • pcman1985
    pcman1985 Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm sure only one late payment will have little to no effect on your credit history, people make mistakes from time to time. After about a year it'll have no effect. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Susie.

Should I wait until my next credit report to check if they actually do issue a late payment marker on there before asking?

Is it better to ask over the phone or in writing?

Hi again ForeverAwake

If you call them now and they say that a late payment marker has been added, ask them to use their discretion to remove it for the reasons we discussed earlier. If they say they don't know whether one's going to be registered, check your credit file next time it is updated. You'll know whether you need to contact them. I hope all goes well.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure