Old phone bill and dad.

A couple of years ago year my dad decided to take over my mobile contract as I had another contract and he wanted my old phone. Our service provider was three and I called to get the contract transferred into his name and got on with my life.

Then last June I got a letter from a debt collector saying the account had defaulted and I owed money. I asked my dad about this and he assured me he had paid the debt and the matter was solved.

However upon checking my credit file in the last two weeks it appears he has not settled the debt. And that three did not transfer the account correctly to his name (I'm assuming this as it's on my file).

Stupidly I took his word it was resolved as the letters stopped. I was hoping to buy a house this year but now I'm worried this default will scupper any plans I had and all the months of saving will of been in vain. Is there anything I can do about this it is it simply a case of me being stupid?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Have you any old correspondence from Three saying it had been transferred? The only way to get it removed is if it had been put there in error, i.e Three had actually told you they'd transferred the contract even though they hadn't.

Depending on how much it is for and if its 2-3 years prior to the application for a mortgage and if you're putting down a decent deposit, i.e not going for 95% LTV, it might not have too severe an impact especially if it can be paid and the status changes to Satisfied.

It won't scupper your plans, it'll just make them a bit more complicated than they would have been otherwise.
  • BlueManc10
    BlueManc10 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I don't have any correspondence as it was all done over the phone. The first default date is showing as June last year. If I paid in full now would the default date show as today or the original date?

Even then this would still be a fresh default which is a year old.
  • Krisko
    Krisko Posts: 61 Forumite
    I'd start by calling Three to see if they can find any information about the transfer, and why it didn't go through.
  • BlueManc10
    If I did this and they admitted to an error could they transfer this account into his name now? Along with the default? Or am I being extremely optimistic there? I have spoken to my dad since and he is adamant he made a payment however I am doubting his honesty.
  • Krisko
    If they've made an error the default will be removed from your account. If they're allowed to then put a default on your Dads file I don't know, but that's less important anyway.

Clearly the adress on the account has changed, as you've haven't received any letters about the account, so it's just the name that hasn't changed for some unknown reason.
  • BlueManc10
    So are you of the opinion if they have made an error and the account is transferred into his name from now that all associated history will transfer along with the account?
  • Krisko
    I don't know if they're allowed to transfer any of the information to another persons file, after all with the account not being in his name he could refuse to have any knowledge of it.

But if Three has made error the information will be removed from your file.

But as you don't have any proof of the transfer being made, you really just have to hope that Three finds something in their systems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure