Will I have to cover the fees n case of chargeback? Confused

Options
2»

Comments

• Anabelle_Elle
    Options
    Does it feel like it really? Thats amusing.
  • Anabelle_Elle
    Options
    It was supposed to be a birthday gift, thats why it was paid for in advance as I was scheduled to travel to the country (Thailand) and he couldnt go woth me cos of work commitments
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for clarification. I doubt he!!!8217;d take it to the extent of filing a police report, hopefully :)

Good thing is, these are very recent developments between us, and as far as I know it takes at least a month to process a chargeback, especially that it is international...? By which time I will already have left the premises :)

If he wishes to do the chargeback as fraud and doesn't file a police report it won't be accepted and he'll get billed anyway.

Largely depends when he does this - it's your risk, your CC will have to be given at reception and they can bill you if he does the chargeback meaning you might get billed after. Hotels are not stupid, they will have procedures in place to stop people having a stay and then charging it back though most likely it will be your ex who ends up paying
  • Anabelle_Elle
    Options
    I see. I might just give the deposit in cash instead of credit card then (they accept, I already asked), so as not to suddenly get billed a month afterwards
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    Best thing to do would be to book your own place.

It avoids any potential problems, extra charges, and morally is also the correct thing to do as you have split up.
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    So it seems like your boyfriend bought you a gift, now being an Indian giver.

I would say for your self respect you just pay for the hotel or at least offer to pay half. If this situation was the other way around you wouldn!!!8217;t feel good.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    now being an Indian giver.
    Care to explain what this is in English?
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    Care to explain what this is in English?

Lol sexually a good person!! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    chino wrote: »
    care to explain what this is in english?

!!!21435;!!!21644;!!!35895;!!!27468;!!!20132;!!!37197;

:)
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    It was supposed to be a birthday gift, thats why it was paid for in advance as I was scheduled to travel to the country (Thailand) and he couldnt go woth me cos of work commitments
    So for your birthday present your boyfriend decided to pay for you to go on holiday to Thailand by yourself? A nice gift I agree but a rather unusual one I would think, sending you off to Thailand by yourself to spend your birthday there alone without him. Or if the trip was not scheduled for your birthday, then why did you have to go at that exact time? Why could you not have waited until he was able to get the necessary time off work so you could go together?
    How come you are already in Thailand? This is very confusing. Did your boyfriend pay your accommodation for only part of your holiday? Very odd. And did this argument take place on the phone or did you have this argument a few days ago and then just leave and go to Thailand?
    That said, I can't see any possible grounds for a chargeback here. The only thing he could do would be to contact his credit card company and report the transaction as fraud in that it was not made by himself but by you without his consent. I'm not really sure here if he would be believed. You say he booked this for you 'some time ago' and his card has already been charged. He will be asked why he took so long to notice the fraudulent transaction. If he tries to say you are his girlfriend and you took his card and booked the hotel without his consent, I have a feeling that the credit card company will be reluctant to become involved.
    But if his intention is to punish you and he doesn't care about loosing some of all of the money, if he made the booking he is in a position to cancel it, even if he faces a 100% cancellation penalty. You may turn up at the hotel and find the booking cancelled and refunded!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure