needing help with unknown ccj

shellby81
shellby81 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 10 June 2018 at 2:48PM in Credit file & ratings
]after trying to take out a new phone contract yesterday and being unsuccessful i took a look at my credit report to see what could have gone wrong and i was shocked to find a CCJ against me.

Just last month a CCJ was placed against me for £375 and i have no idea what this is. I have just moved back in with parents due to leaving my partner in February this year due to domestic violence and the CCJ is registered at my old address for last month (May)

i just need help with what i can do about this, i have no other debt and having this hanging over me and at 36 i cant even take out a phone contract is a bit disheartening.

Obviously due to the issues i faced with e partner i wouldn't have recieved any letters of any impending CCJ and i really have no idea what it is even for anyway!

can someone please give some advice i'd really appreciate it.
Added: ive just seen on my credit report what the default is....in 2008 it says an account for telecommunications supplier which has defaulted in 2016.... i cant remember what that was but im guessing a mobile phone contract?? can i get a CCJ after all this time??

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You can sim free phone and either go payg or get a pay monthly sim which may be easier to get than a contract.
  • yeah thanks i already have sim only, thats not my issue its the ccj thats my issue
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to contact the court that issued it to find out which company requested it and you can then find out about the company that requested the CCJ - you can get information about what the CCJ is for, but it looks like you know its a telecommunications account.
    If the CCJ is less than a calendar month old, paying it off in full will remove it from your file.

Domestic Violence comes under the Serious Crimes act, so the relevance of that depends on what you are stating - saying you couldn't get the claims form because of it, might not be reason enough.

If the account defaulted in 2016, then most likely it was being paid for before hand (defaults usually up to 6 months after last payment or start date in terms of non-payment). Do you recognise having an account from 2008?
  • I've found out the debt is Lowell, it defaulted in July 2015.

i wouldnt have made any payments for sometime before that as met now ex july 2014.

I'm guessing i now contact Lowell to pay this off? the debt defaulted at £216 but is now £375? court costs?
    My file shows a query back in 2016 so i'm thinking i must of disputed the debt with Lowell asking for original credit agreement, which i never recieved.
  • You will owe the full amount showing in the CCJ.

And if payed within 30 days of being issued will be removed from your files
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    shellby81 wrote: »
    yeah thanks i already have sim only, thats not my issue its the ccj thats my issue

If you were wanting a phone like urgently then its the way to go plus its cheaper than contracts.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Court costs are all set out in Civil Procedure rules. If you've previously raised a dispute and never got a reply, query this with them, under GDPR you can request copies of information they have on you, like any letter sent. They probably won't have the Credit Agreement, unless they've specifically requested it from the original creditor. A lot of mobile contracts don't fall under CCA so don't be surprised if there is no signed contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure