Working but no SMP

Hi,
I'm in a really strange position of moving from one (relatively good job) to another (relatively good job) in the 26 weeks before the 15th week before the birth of my child. This means that even though I was in my previous job for 11 years and will probably do at least the same in my new job I'm not entitled to SMP, or any extra company pay. I will revert to the absolute lowest amount of money - Maternity Allowance.
Is there any other help I can get during this time, as this will be less than 1/4 of my normal take home wage (other than child benefits).
Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    stay in your current job?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    polgara wrote: »

I'm guessing its a bit late for that...
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Maternity Allowance is the same amount as SMP anyway.

Do you have a working partner? If so what are they earning?

Is your area in UC yet?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    As Darksparkle says, the amount you receive on MA and SMP will be the same.
  • polgara wrote: »
    This would have meant
    1. Knowing I was pregnant before I was pregnant.
    2. Turning down a very good job.
    3. Staying in a very poor job for my whole pregnancy, maternity and three months after.
    The first kinda made the decision for me anyway, regardless of the second two.
    I'm guessing its a bit late for that...
    It is, and it was.
    Maternity Allowance is the same amount as SMP anyway.

Is it? This is the information I found on the two:

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) is paid for up to 39 weeks. You get:

90% of your average weekly earnings (before tax) for the first 6 weeks
    £145.18 or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is lower) for the next 33 weeks

Maternity Allowance:
    The amount you can get depends on your eligibility.

You could get either:

£145.18 a week or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is less) for 39 weeks
    £27 a week for 39 weeks
    £27 a week for 14 weeks

Do you have a working partner? If so what are they earning?

I am married and my partner earns slightly less than me. Does this make a difference because of "household income"?
    Is your area in UC yet?

Never heard of it. What is it? I've never claimed any kind of benefits before for anything so am completely new to this.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    UC = Universal Credits

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

The majority of benefits are based on your household income yes.

Use a benefit calculator such as entitledto or turn2us.
  • Use a benefit calculator such as entitledto or turn2us.
    Thanks Darksparkle. These links are really useful, but unfortunately I'm not entitled to any extra help.

I think the rules regarding company maternity pay and SMP are crazy. I am in a job I intend to stay in until I retire and I would be more than happy to say that any pay I received on maternity would be paid back if I left my job less than 26 weeks after returning to work (equivalent to working the 26 weeks before I became pregnant). I think these rules regarding pay are a real detriment to equal opportunities in work and stop women from progressing and was really surprised to find that someones advice was for me not to change jobs.

I am still glad I changed job. I think my new job has made my pregnancy much easier and I think my maternity will be easier knowing that I'm coming back to a job I enjoy. I'm lucky to be in a position where I could make this decision and feel awful for women who would have felt trapped and had their hand forced.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The rules around many benefits may seem crazy, particularly when they prevent receipt. In many ways I agree but that's the way it is. I was unable to get JSA because I was taking a company pension which paid more than JSA. I'd paid into the pension but that makes no difference either. Just another example of being frustrated by the rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure