Barclayloan interest confusion

Hoping you guys can help clear something up for me-

I took out a barclayloan to consolidate existing debt in Jan 2018.

Borrowed £12500 over 60 months at 3.9% interest. Total amount to repay is £13755.60

Monthly repayment of £229.26, i've mostly just let it run without checking any statements or amounts, aside from making a few extra payments here and there to help chip away at it.

Fast forward to June 2018 and my question is this - Last month's loan balance showed as £11004, this month's shows as £10806.59

Unless my maths is off, this should show as about £10775 no?

I was under the impression that the balance showing on the loan is the total amount repayable already inclusive of interest? or do they subtract the interest every month from what i pay in?

Is that £30-something discrepancy the monthly interest being taken from my payment each month?

Sorry if this is a monumentally stupid question, I just want to make sure i'm repaying what i should be and there isn't an issue somewhere.

thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    snowbeard wrote: »

No.

Interest is applied daily, so your repayments go part towards capital, part interest.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 June 2018 at 12:40PM
    It really doesn't matter when the running balance shows, there is no need to complicate matters.
    £229.26 x 60 = £13,755.60, and that is what you will pay, as per the original agreement.
    I have a barclayloan, and I can look at the settlement figure any time on the app. It will break down the amount owing, interest accrued per day since last payment and early settlement fee.

If you look at the balance of your loan for, say, three days running, you can work out how much interest per day you are paying. This will, of course, decrease as the amount owed gets smaller.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    @ a starting balance of £11,004 you might expect daily interest to accrue at:

11,004 * 3.90% * 1/365

=£ 1.175

So, of that month's repayment (let's assume 30 days), you would expect the following to go against capital (rest paying off accrued interest):

229.26 LESS 1.175 * 30

=£194.01

Which is pretty close to the balance changes you observed.

Day count differences (ie not 30 days between payment dates) and perhaps 3.90% being an APR rather than the flat nominal rate may well account for the difference between calculation and observation.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    snowbeard wrote: »

I was under the impression that the balance showing on the loan is the total amount repayable already inclusive of interest? or do they subtract the interest every month from what i pay in?

You are correct, the answer is "no".

Your impressions are wrong. Good day.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 June 2018 at 4:57PM
    I was under the impression that the balance showing on the loan is the total amount repayable already inclusive of interest?

Some lenders do or did show the balance in this way, however if this was the case with your loan the balance showing would be the total amount to pay (£13755.60) minus the payments you have made to date (£1146.30 assuming 5 payments to date) - which it clearly isn't.

In your case Barclays are showing the amount currently outstanding - calculated by deducting the payments you have made to date from the amount borrowed and adding the interest accrued to date (calculated on the declining balance and typically added on a daily basis) - if you have a mortgage your statement for that will show the current balance of the debt in the same way. If you Google Guardian Loan calculator and put your figures in you will see how the balance declines each month.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I did the same back in 2014 10,000 and I’m currently dealing with them through the ombudsmen. They’ve charged my interest understandably as part of my £201 monthly payment, but when I make overpayments I get charged interest too, £28,73 on the last one. (Contract I’m not limited or charged on overpayments) Plus daily interest. When questioned they say it’s calculated when my loan was taken over the set amount of months and calculated, not charged daily. They’ve contradicted themselves 3 times with me. Hence I’ve come on here to see if anyone else is having this problem.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 June 2018 at 5:58AM
    I did the same back in 2014 10,000 and I!!!8217;m currently dealing with them through the ombudsmen. They!!!8217;ve charged my interest understandably as part of my £201 monthly payment, but when I make overpayments I get charged interest too, £28,73 on the last one. (Contract I!!!8217;m not limited or charged on overpayments) Plus daily interest. When questioned they say it!!!8217;s calculated when my loan was taken over the set amount of months and calculated, not charged daily. They!!!8217;ve contradicted themselves 3 times with me. Hence I!!!8217;ve come on here to see if anyone else is having this problem.

Not sure what the problem is that you think you are having but lenders are entitled under the Early Settlement Regulations to add up to 58 days interest on partial settlements (aka overpayments) or full early settlements.
    Its not a charge as such more a reduction in rebate of interest that you otherwise might have received that arises because lenders can post date the assumed date of early settlement up to 58 days after the actual date in their interest calculations.
    All is explained here:-
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/34687/12-1264-consumer-credit-directive-guidance.pdf

In particular paragraphs 14.39 and 14.40 on page 67

Page 61 & 63 are in reference to 95A which allows for an additional charge/Fee to be made should the lender wish to do so subject to the conditions therein (which is what the article on the MSE site is based on) however - this has no bearing on the 28/58 day interest charge which arises from the rebate calculation under the still existing early settlement regulations. In a nutshell nothing in 95A is intended to derogate the early settlement calculation rules used in 94

When a customer requests a full or partial early settlement the lender has to calculate a rebate of interest charges that would have otherwise been charged if the loan had continued as before. In calculating this rebate the assumed date of the full or partial early settlement is 28 days after the request or 58 days after (at the lenders discretion) if the loan has more than 12 months to run.

The customer then has 28 or 58 days in which to make the payment, if they make the payment earlier than the 28 or 58 day deadline the lender does not have to adjust the rebate of interest calculation already made, the customer is simply giving the lender some free working capital for a period.

NB The lender is always free to offer more generous terms than specified in the early settlement regulations - as some do of course
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure