Curve Card

unclearengineer
unclearengineer Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 26 January 2018 at 10:44AM in Credit cards
Official MoneySavingExpert Insert Jan 2018:

Hi everyone, you may like to read ourNew Curve card claims to be 'the only card you need to carry' - but here's what to watch out for news story.

Back to unclearengineer's original post...

----

I saw a new "Curve Card" advertised and reviewed.

From what I gather, for £35 you get a pre paid Mastercard connected to your other credit cards which you then use and can select (from an app) which of your original cards is charged.

The benefits are that you can use your AMEX card anywhere now (and hopefully get the cashback),

My question is this: As it is a pre paid card, is it still subject to the credit card fee you get charged when using a credit card in some places (like paying for road tax online, for example), or are you not charged at all, as if you had used your debit card?

For the one off fee I am tempted if it means I can use AMEX anywhere, as I can then get rid of my standard Credit Card that pays less in cash back, and also use it to pay for things like insurance without the AMEX fee (obviously paying off the balance at the end of the month and taking the cash back).

Any other thought on it?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2016 at 4:29PM
    Free ATM withdrawals in UK from all CCs essentially? A perfect 'mule' card for big amounts (ignoring the daily limit)?
    :think:
    What about cashback on ATM withdrawals? Something doesn't sound right here...
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Curve looks, feels and smells just like a normal bank card. But it isn't. Access all your cards and accounts with just one PIN, withdraw cash, use online and on the high street plus keep earning your rewards points. Curve also does things your old cards can't - such as making sure you never pay fees when you withdraw cash with a credit card in the UK. Curve even makes Amex work everywhere it's not accepted. Curve offers the advantages of products such as Apple Pay, but in the widely accepted form of a card and without the £30 transaction limit.

I'm sceptical. It's not released until Summer 2016 according to their website so will wait for further info.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    grumbler wrote: »
    Free ATM withdrawals in UK from all CCs essentially? A perfect 'mule' card for big amounts (ignoring the daily limit)?
    I'd think that unlikely, due to the fact that if your CC is currently used for a cash-based transaction, eg gambling or buying foreign currency, you still get hit with the cash charge. Be interesting to see what loopholes there may be, though.
  • I'd be careful of this - I guess that there's the potential for some/all credit cards treating this as a cash advance (as they do with cash back, ATM withdrawals, travel money, PayPal loading, etc)?
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 February 2016 at 5:28PM
    Interesting that their website, https://www.imaginecurve.com/, claims that it does avoid ATM fees, and that it retains CC cashback. And that you can use it for Amex at places that don't take Amex.

The one thing I can't figure is how you know which of your cards the payment will be taken from, eg when you have a better cashback for petrol with one card, or when you're up to your limit with one and want to use a different one.

BTW they now say 'shipping from March'.

Edit: If you click 'Join now', the links on the following page don't work, but on that page it still says 'available Summer 16'
  • I'd be careful of this - I guess that there's the potential for some/all credit cards treating this as a cash advance (as they do with cash back, ATM withdrawals, travel money, PayPal loading, etc)?

Maybe, but this is how the Travelex Supercard currently works - you can link it to a credit card, use it for cash withdrawals abroad, it bills your CC as a purchase, you get charged no fees and earn whatever rewards the card offers.

The only downsides to Supercard are that it doesn't work that way (free) in the UK, and doesn't allow you to link an Amex.
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Biggles wrote: »
    If you click 'Join now', the links on the following page don't work, but on that page it still says 'available Summer 16'
    Those links don't work in IE11, but work in Chrome, and when you put your details in you find that the initial tranche is only for self-employed people who use iOS.
  • I guess it depends what deal that Curve has setup with each CC operator? Travelex are huge and probably in a better position than a startup to make arrangements. Ultimately though, things will happen one of two ways:

1) Curve puts a purchase transaction on your other cards, and then pays the merchant. In such cases what happens with charge-backs, refunds, etc? What about S75 protection? In effect they have the contract for supply with the merchant, not you - and so your CC company may be off the hook. This I suppose is similar to how PayPal operate?

or

2) Curve act as a pass through like Apple Pay, your payment is made from your originating card to the merchant. In this case though, especially where used for cash back or in ATMs whilst Curve may try to pass it off as a purchase item, I can't see CC companies being too happy? Not quite sure of the implications, but would CC companies have any leeway in how they consider Curve payments? Could some just decide to class all Curve payments as cash advances? If then it's down to individual bank/CC negotiations it could create a bit of a confusing mess for consumers?
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Also the fact thay you pay a one time fee of £35 and £75 depending on which offer you go for.

Says mid 2016 for shipping and you only get charged at that point.

John
  • simongregson
    simongregson Posts: 875 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 February 2016 at 9:19PM
    I suspect that it is for business owners only as these are the only cards exempt from the new EU fees cap which would seem to be the only way to fund it. Of course the definition of business can be stretched to all sorts of things...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure