Paying money to wrong account

Options

Comments

• Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    I feel some of us are talking about making a 1 pound payment to check the account sort code (not just it's validity - but correct account/sort), and others are still stuck on the OP's problem. The OP who is long gone.

About the 'quip'. Some of us are too busy working out the jargon, nevermind 'quips' which are somewhat exclusive for the haughty.

Fair pint. I'm not bitter - and no offence intended by pointing to it. 'Exclusive' and 'haughty' - I like it! How easy it is to create a false impression behind our aliases and avatars.
  • Birdman2015
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I did something similar with a payment of £498, 1 digit out on the sort code. I have checked the site you listed and the sort code and account number combo is not valid.

I have raised it with the TSB who say it could take 5 weeks to sort out. I assume the fact the account is not valid means I should get the cash back ok eventually?

Just an update to my post above, STILL not got this sorted out despite several calls.The receiving bank claimed they returned the funds to TSB on 3/8 but they say it wasn't received. This has been followed by a procession of emails between the TSB and Clydesdale banks (most of which it seems Clydesdale don't answer).

Very frustrating and I don't know who to turn to now as the TSB seem to be getting nowhere.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just an update to my post above, STILL not got this sorted out despite several calls.The receiving bank claimed they returned the funds to TSB on 3/8 but they say it wasn't received. This has been followed by a procession of emails between the TSB and Clydesdale banks (most of which it seems Clydesdale don't answer).

Very frustrating and I don't know who to turn to now as the TSB seem to be getting nowhere.

You need to make a formal complaint to TSB, and if they don't resolve it you can then go to the FOS.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above, you need to start a formal complaint with TSB. The problem here is it is TSB whose complaints process is currently a total shambles.
  • Birdman2015
    Options
    Thanks, will do that.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Unfortunately sending £1 then closely followed by a largger sum is often pretty much guaranteed to trigger fraud filters at the banks thus getting your internet banking suspended. just saying...

False news I think
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • sambullus
    Options
    i made an error paying money into an account on Friday afternoon. Going to the bank tomorrow morning. According to sortcodes website the sort or account number transferred to are not valid. Does anyone know if the NatWest are worse or (hopefully) better than the TSB? Thanks
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    sambullus wrote: »
    i made an error paying money into an account on Friday afternoon. Going to the bank tomorrow morning. According to sortcodes website the sort or account number transferred to are not valid. Does anyone know if the NatWest are worse or (hopefully) better than the TSB? Thanks

Would have thought that if the S/C and/or A/C are invalid, the payment would bounce back to your account. Check your online banking tomorrow morning before spending time/money going to the bank.
  • Birdman2015
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    You need to make a formal complaint to TSB, and if they don't resolve it you can then go to the FOS.

The recorded delivery letter I sent to TSB never arrived apparently but the good news is that after another call to them last Thursday the money was refunded to my account on Friday.
  • Birdman2015
    Options
    Would have thought that if the S/C and/or A/C are invalid, the payment would bounce back to your account. Check your online banking tomorrow morning before spending time/money going to the bank.

Not the case it seems if my experience is anything to go by. I had to wait 3 months to get my cash back in the same circumstances as sambullus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure