Garden Leave or PILON - tax implications

2»

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament

The other thing with gardening leave is if you were near a work anniversary, they would have to pay an additional years service.

That can still apply for the redundancy.

With PILON you add on the statutory notice(1week per year max 12) to get the relevant date for redundancy service if it is later than the termination date.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think that with PILON your leave is calculated as if you had worked to the end of your notice period.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    prowla wrote: »
    I think that with PILON your leave is calculated as if you had worked to the end of your notice period.

PILON is the compensation for what you would have got if you had worked your notice.

That can be the same as net pay the employer can keep the tax if it can be paid tax free.

As you can always take the holiday that would accrue there is nothing to compensate.

Companies don't have to pay the minimum they can pay more, some are more generous some just don't know they can keep the tax and don't have to pay the holidays.
  • That can still apply for the redundancy.

With PILON you add on the statutory notice(1week per year max 12) to get the relevant date for redundancy service if it is later than the termination date.

It depends on the company I know ones that did not do this but I guess it will determine on their terms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure