Terrified by Universal Credit - Full Service Area

Options
2»

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    New style ESA contributions based, is only available to those who have paid enough National Insurance in last 3 years. So may or may not be relevant to the OP.

And they would only get assessment rate ESA for first 13 weeks and would need a Work Capability Assessment to see if they are eligible for more support. A failed PIP assessment, suggests that this might be difficult.

If they also get UC, UC should deduct the ESA amount paid, so there is no duplication of a similar benefit type.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not true.

If you are in a Full Service UC area, you can also claim 'New Style Contribution Based ESA'.

You can get new style ESA on its own or at the same time as Universal Credit.

If you get both at the same time your new style ESA payment will be deducted from your Universal Credit payment - you are not guaranteed to get any extra money.

Which, would be more financially beneficial, is unclear.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/types-of-esa

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
    As no premiums are paid on top of New style CB ESA, it's highly likely that the OP would be financially worse off claiming this. With a PIP and IS award they could be claiming the premiums on top of the IS, depending on what PIP award they have.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    New style ESA contributions based, is only available to those who have paid enough National Insurance in last 3 years. So may or may not be relevant to the OP.

Is available to those who have paid enough NI in the last 2 years.

And they would only get assessment rate ESA for first 13 weeks and would need a Work Capability Assessment to see if they are eligible for more support. A failed PIP assessment, suggests that this might be difficult.

There is one WCA for both benefits, both UC and New Style ESA.

If they also get UC, UC should deduct the ESA amount paid, so there is no duplication of a similar benefit type.

As per my original post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    As no premiums are paid on top of New style CB ESA, it's highly likely that the OP would be financially worse off claiming this. With a PIP and IS award they could be claiming the premiums on top of the IS, depending on what PIP award they have.

It's hypothetical. They don't yet have a PIP award.

I was pointing out the fact you said if you live in UC area, you can't claim ESA at all.

I don't think anyone read my post?
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's hypothetical. They don't yet have a PIP award.

I was pointing out the fact you said if you live in UC area, you can't claim ESA at all.

I don't think anyone read my post?
    The OP never mentioned previously working and paying NI Contributions, which was why i never mentioned the CB New style ESA. Yes, that was wrong of me because of others reading the thread may have taken that advice, so for that i'm sorry.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    The OP never mentioned previously working and paying NI Contributions, which was why i never mentioned the CB New style ESA. Yes, that was wrong of me because of others reading the thread may have taken that advice, so for that i'm sorry.

You don't solely need to have been working.

New style ESA works in the same way as Contributory ESA.

If you haven't you’ve paid enough National Insurance contributions, National Insurance credits can count for part of this, if you get them.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    I would say that based on what I have heard about, if you had difficulty with the PIP assessment, then you are unlikely to receive support ( LCWRA) group after an ESA/UC assessment.

Not always, our youngest is now waiting for PIP tribunal (ASD, ADHD and anxiety) but passed a UC WCA for work and wra. It boiled down to the assessor being truthful on the wca but not on the PIP one (different company and assessor, obviously).
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure