How do I find old loans?

Options
SouthUKMan
SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
Over the past 25 years I've taken out various loans and mortgages through different banks and lenders. Nearly all my paperwork has been thrown away or become lost over the years. It might sound daft, but I can't recall how many loans I've had or who they were with - but I would like to explore if any of these loans had PPI. Bearing in mind that some of the loans date back to the early 90s, is there a way to discover what loans I've had through something like Experian or Equifax? I don't know how they work or how far back their records go...? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your credit files go back 6 years. Anything else is in your head or your filing.

However, you will need to supply a lot of documentation to the lender evidencing your payments, as they won't have any after 25 years.
  • centurion_36
    centurion_36 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it is to find out if you had PPI on loans just ask the banks if you paid PPI or put in a SAR to get all the information that they hold about you. I asked natwest if i had PPI on any loans i had in the 90s on an account i closed 20 years ago. They sent me PPI information for 5 loans from 1992 to 1998 with account and sort codes and the amounts of ppi that was paid on each loan
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Some lenders keep internal records longer than others.

Now that a SAR (subject access request) is free, your best bet is to send a SAR to any and all lenders whom you may of had dealings with in the past.

With no records of your own, that is the only way to do it, do not be fooled by claims management companies who claim to be able to perform miracles, exactly the same avenues are open to you, as to them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure