MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling...

Comments

• Joy123 wrote: »
    I am still unsure what to do about the letter.

Join the group action against them...
    https://form.jotformeu.com/HCSolicitors/data-breach-claim-questionnaire

No risk, no win no fee etc
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Join the group action against them...
    https://form.jotformeu.com/HCSolicitors/data-breach-claim-questionnaire

No risk, no win no fee etc

I'm certainly interested in legal action against Equifax, but whether Hayes Connor (which the above links to) is the right firm to take it on is another matter entirely. It appears to be a relatively unknown 2 partner firm in Bootle. They may be excellent, but I'd want to know a lot more about them before handing over any personal information and engaging them.

https://www.hayesconnor.co.uk/equifax-data-breach/

https://www.hayesconnor.co.uk/portfolio-item/equifax-hack-updates/

Suite 5.5 St Hugh’s House
    Stanley Road
    Bootle
    Merseyside
    L20 3QQ

I'll be looking around and watching the situation as it develops - I imagine some large firms with a known track record will be appearing soon.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've just received a letter from Equifax this morning.

Does this mean either that the breach happened some time ago for my account and they've only just got around to telling me, or that there are new breaches happening after all this time, or some other explanation?
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    redux wrote: »
    I've just received a letter from Equifax this morning.

Does this mean either that the breach happened some time ago for my account and they've only just got around to telling me, or that there are new breaches happening after all this time, or some other explanation?

They've just got round to telling you.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • Doc_N
    orrery wrote: »
    They've just got round to telling you.

Or, equally likely, their systems are so bad that they've only just found out themselves.

They do seem completely clueless - exactly the sort of outfit that should not be trusted to hold such sensitive data. And bear in mind that it holds all this personal financial data on pretty much each and every one of us without most people being aware of it. We sign away our rights every time we buy a financial product or anything requiring notional credit - for example utilities.
  • I took up the free offer and after a couple of emails saying "no change" have just received one from them saying "something has changed", giving my bank and two bank accounts in which they say two credit agreements have been cancelled.

I didn't recognise either of the account numbers and have no credit agreements, so rang the bank who confirmed these account numbers are not mine.

Not sure what to do next. Am rather chary of getting in touch with Equefax at all given all this and am wondering if someone is scamming their site to get even more details.
  • Doc_N
    jaijai123 wrote: »
    I took up the free offer and after a couple of emails saying "no change" have just received one from them saying "something has changed", giving my bank and two bank accounts in which they say two credit agreements have been cancelled.

I didn't recognise either of the account numbers and have no credit agreements, so rang the bank who confirmed these account numbers are not mine.

Not sure what to do next. Am rather chary of getting in touch with Equefax at all given all this and am wondering if someone is scamming their site to get even more details.

These Equifax notifications can sometimes be confusing - the information isn't always very clear. I'm not sure that Equifax could give you any more information that they already have, but in that situation I'd be inclined to talk again to the bank in case someone is using your details to open accounts.
  • Hi All,

I complained and got £120 compo!

I just wanted to make you all aware that I complained to Equifax about this asking them what information was stolen and they confirmed my name, date of birth and telephone number was accessed.

I have had the same telephone number since the mobile operator Three.co.uk was formed, so about 15 years? Not sure. I had registered with the telephone preference service (TPS) for mobiles (tpsonline dot org dot uk) a long time ago which should stop cold calling. I had never recieved a cold call (as i dont give my number out unless it is to reputable companies such as..... Equifax) but suddenly started recieveing cold calls around the time of the breach. Coincidence? I assume not.

The problem in addition was, whoever had my number would have probably sold it on to other cold calling companies and the problem spiralled with me recieveing about two or three a day. Always some dreary robot lady when I answered...

Anyway, I complained to Equifax about this asking them exactly what personal information was stolen and they confirmed my name, date of birth and telephone number was accessed - but they were unable to uphold my complaint. Not having this I thought, I passed it to the Financial Ombudsman back in January 2018. Not hearing anything from them for a while I thought it was going nowhere and left it. But to my surprise today I got a call from the Ombudsman and got £100 compensation (and £20 for CIFAS registration).

Although the compensation is highly welcome, nothing can be done about the nuisance cold calls I have been recieving as it would be a huge inconvenience changing my number - family, friends, business contacts, clinets, acquaintences and companies all have this so it would be a pain.

My advice - complain and get compo!

Cheers,
    Chris
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Chris_1987 wrote: »

Although the compensation is highly welcome, nothing can be done about the nuisance cold calls I have been recieving ,,,,

Oh yes you can do something about it. Provided you have working caller line ID, you can buy a BT 8600 cordless phone with call blocking, an additional handset (making 4) and still have change in your pocket.

This has stopped all nuisance calls for me - and I do mean all. Half of all callers to my number don't bother trying to get past the challenge (give your name and press #), they just put the phone down - I only know because I have another (non call screening) phone in my study which rings, so I can tell when a call is being screened.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • Chris_1987 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I just wanted to make you all aware that I complained to Equifax about this asking them what information was stolen and they confirmed my name, date of birth and telephone number was accessed.

I have had the same telephone number since the mobile operator Three.co.uk was formed, so about 15 years? Not sure. I had registered with the telephone preference service (TPS) for mobiles (tpsonline dot org dot uk) a long time ago which should stop cold calling. I had never recieved a cold call (as i dont give my number out unless it is to reputable companies such as..... Equifax) but suddenly started recieveing cold calls around the time of the breach. Coincidence? I assume not.

The problem in addition was, whoever had my number would have probably sold it on to other cold calling companies and the problem spiralled with me recieveing about two or three a day. Always some dreary robot lady when I answered...

Anyway, I complained to Equifax about this asking them exactly what personal information was stolen and they confirmed my name, date of birth and telephone number was accessed - but they were unable to uphold my complaint. Not having this I thought, I passed it to the Financial Ombudsman back in January 2018. Not hearing anything from them for a while I thought it was going nowhere and left it. But to my surprise today I got a call from the Ombudsman and got £100 compensation (and £20 for CIFAS registration).

Although the compensation is highly welcome, nothing can be done about the nuisance cold calls I have been recieving as it would be a huge inconvenience changing my number - family, friends, business contacts, clinets, acquaintences and companies all have this so it would be a pain.

My advice - complain and get compo!

Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks for info. So to confirm I have to complain to Equifax first? How by telephone call?

How did you then take it the Financial Ombudsman?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure