Flooded

My neighbors flooded my property due to a burst pipe was wondering who would be liable I have had my adjuster from my insurance company and tomorrow his adjuster is coming out to morrow but he owns the property but he lets it out any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    annie1990 wrote: »
    My neighbors flooded my property due to a burst pipe was wondering who would be liable I have had my adjuster from my insurance company and tomorrow his adjuster is coming out to morrow but he owns the property but he lets it out any help would be much appreciated

You haven't said but what is it you need help with ?
  • If anybody had went through this and who would pay for the damages him,his insurance, my insurance? Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Unless he was negligent, your insurance.
  • His contents insurance should cover your loss; at least thats how it worked when a fire in my house also damaged the neighbors; their loss was paid from my contents insurance.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If the neighbour has been negligent in anyway, then he is liable.

However, if the burst pipe 'just happened' then the neighbour can't be held negligent and, therefore, isn't liable for any damage to your property.

Either claim from your insurance, and let them claim from your neighbours insurance. Or pay it yourself, and claim directly from your neighbour if you think they have been negligent.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,293
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If it was a burst pipe caused by the unusually cold weather, there's probably no negligence, so either you or your insurer will have to pay for any damage.

But if the neighbour is fibbing, and it was really something like an unattended bath that overflowed, then the tenant or their insurer is liable for the damage (because the tenant would have been negligent to let a bath overflow).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure