Do I have to declare void insurance?

Back in 2014 I got in an accident which ended up with me having my insurance voided. I'm looking at the money supermarket insurance app right now and it asks "has anyone on the policy ever been declined insurance? now I may be taking this literally hence why I need some advice but surely because they didn't specifically say has anyone ever had an insurance policy void or cancelled that means I dont have to declare? or is this tricky wording to catch people out

Comments

• Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    Yes definitely.
  • Why was your Insurance "Voided" previously.

Was it definitely voided In insurance terms.

IF so you will have to declare it 100%
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Its asking if anyone named on the policy has ever had declined insurance.

You always answer the question as it is asked. It is pretty clear when you read it as it asks.
    but surely because they didn't specifically say has anyone ever had an insurance policy void
    They wouldnt ask that question as you are talking about the population of the UK there. The insurer is only interested on the people in the proposed policy.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I was doing lots of research and found that insurance companies get their information on people from the MIB including if they have had a policy cancelled. on the MIB website if says "The information is retained for 7 years" (the question was how long is information stored on the MIB) so does this mean 7 years after having a policy cancelled i won't have to declare it as it won't be on the MIB database therefore they can't prove if I've had a policy cancelled? Or are they able to check in other ways? :(
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why was your policy cancelled? Was it for fraudulent reasons?
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mhiggs1996 wrote: »
    I'm looking at the money supermarket insurance app right now and it asks "has anyone on the policy ever been declined insurance? now I may be taking this literally hence why I need some advice but surely because they didn't specifically say has anyone ever had an insurance policy void or cancelled that means I dont have to declare? or is this tricky wording to catch people out
    It's not the comparison site trying to catch you out, because why would they? And they are the ones who wrote the questions you are answering. So no conspiracies are against you here.
    But, yes, you need to declare it. It the comparison site doesn't ask the relevant question then try a different one.

I once messed up with something similar. A car drove into the back of me (and two more followed suit) causing a lot of damage to their car but none to mine. Not my fault and no claim by me.
    Comparison site asked if I'd had any claims. I said "no".
    Went with the cheapest. Should have read the documents from them (including the line "No claims or accidents" on the basis that I'd said "no" to having had any claims) but didn't. Ended up having to pay a fair amount to make a change to the policy or else they would have voided it.
    The next year I used a different comparison site where I was able to answer that I'd had an accident with zero claim.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes you have to declare it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If it asks "have you ever" then it means ever. It doesnt mean you can commit fraud after 7 years as you think you can get away with it.

The MIB is not the only place they get their data.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 13 March 2018 at 6:01PM
    I think the OP was asking whether "voided" means the same as "cancelled" ?
    Is the proposer supposed to know that in insurance-speak they mean the same thing (if they do?) or should he answer the question literally as asked and assume that they are not the same thing as they are different words, not defined by the insurer?

Just found this:

"Cancelled car insurance policies are those that have been terminated before they were due to expire.
    Voided car insurance policies are those that have been declared null and void from the policy start date. Under these circumstances, cancellation provisions may not apply. "
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think the OP was asking whether "voided" means the same as "cancelled" ?
    Is the proposer supposed to know that in insurance-speak they mean the same thing (if they do?) or should he answer the question literally as asked and assume that they are not the same thing as they are different words, not defined by the insurer?
    I don't know if they are the same thing.
    But I am pretty sure that what happened to the OP needs to be declared, whether they are asked the question directly or not.
    If they don't declare it, regardless of how accurately they answered the asked questions, I'd bet that the small-print of the insurance they take out - that they are supposed to read before agreeing to - says that they haven't had a policy voided.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure