Voluntary redundancies...

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    There is a point system. You can get an idea on line. Stuff like attendance record, sick, time keeping, skill set, flexibility, approach to H&S and cost to business....and so on.

What it cost to get rid of you is balanced with all the other criteria.
    Not necessarily. This is a voluntary redundancy. As I have already said there is no such thing as voluntary redundancy. So if the employer wants to pull names out of a hat, they can.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 1:05PM
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. This is a voluntary redundancy. As I have already said there is no such thing as voluntary redundancy. So if the employer wants to pull names out of a hat, they can.

In a voluntary situation where they are over subscribed they use a points system at my company. Who wants to pick from a hat and end up with the best going and the worse staying. Of course they can just say no to them that apply and use the same system to pick others under business needs if it goes to compulsory.

Well, that's what they do where I work and that's what they have done in the past.

My conclusion.............they offer it to them they want to go and not the ones they want to keep. Sometimes the cost is considered and others its not important. Its all about business needs and going forward.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    That's what they did at my place does not make it universal or law.

It not uncommon to decide who you want to go and then come up with a scheme to make it happen.

a VR process and hope they volunteer
    a redundancy process and use criteria that pick the ones you want.
    manage them out
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It not uncommon to decide who you want to go and then come up with a scheme to make it happen.
    I'd change not uncommon to racing certainty.

Why would any employer come up with a scheme to get rid of people they wanted to keep? when criteria e.g. "teamworking", "attitude" can be subjective.
  • sangie595
    In a voluntary situation where they are over subscribed they use a points system at my company. Who wants to pick from a hat and end up with the best going and the worse staying. Of course they can just say no to them that apply and use the same system to pick others under business needs if it goes to compulsory.

Well, that's what they do where I work and that's what they have done in the past.

My conclusion.............they offer it to them they want to go and not the ones they want to keep. Sometimes the cost is considered and others its not important. Its all about business needs and going forward.
    What they do at your place and what they have done at your place in the past has no relevance to anyone else.
  • scd3scd4
    Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 6:54AM
    What they do at your place and what they have done at your place in the past has no relevance to anyone else.

No, its an example of what could happen to the OP and how some systems work. That's the question the OP posed.......... But I wanted to know what you thought?

There is no definitive answer because companies can do and manipulate what they want to get the result they desirer. What you think they can or will do is no more irrelevant because you are none to them and their business.
  • sangie595
    No, its an example of what could happen to the OP and how some systems work. That's the question the OP posed.......... But I wanted to know what you thought?

There is no definitive answer because companies can do and manipulate what they want to get the result they desirer. What you think they can or will do is no more irrelevant because you are none to them and their business.
    I'm not entirely sure what that is supposed to mean, but I'm going to point this out again.... This is not a redundancy, and so the company will not, and do not need to manipulate anything to get the result they desire. They can pick any applicant they want in any way they want - or they can pick none of them. They can draw names out of a hat, they can run three-legged races down the office corridor, they can hold a vote of the workplace.... They can do anything that they want. So it's impossible to give the OP any steer on what they might decide or why, or to tell them how they might decide, if they decide anything at all.

You are confusing "voluntary redundancy" with actual redundancy. The two have nothing in common, because the former isn't redundancy.
  • scd3scd4
    Forumite
    edited 11 February 2018 at 8:52AM
    I'm not entirely sure what that is supposed to mean, but I'm going to point this out again.... This is not a redundancy, and so the company will not, and do not need to manipulate anything to get the result they desire. They can pick any applicant they want in any way they want - or they can pick none of them. They can draw names out of a hat, they can run three-legged races down the office corridor, they can hold a vote of the workplace.... They can do anything that they want. So it's impossible to give the OP any steer on what they might decide or why, or to tell them how they might decide, if they decide anything at all.

You are confusing "voluntary redundancy" with actual redundancy. The two have nothing in common, because the former isn't redundancy.

No, not all companies work how you think they do and that includes large American oil companies where I work. Some use a points system for both voluntary and compulsory. No one is confused as its pretty simple to understand. No one has to have three legged races with their dog. You have no idea how the OPs company works.

We all know we are speculating that's what you expect when you ask strangers for there views or advise on a forum with a bit of debate.

To the OP: Cost is only one factor they could look at. I would not personally use it to get your hopes up. The same goes for your travelling.
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sangie595 now PPR'd?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,629
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    NCC-1701 wrote: »
    sangie595 now PPR'd?

It's amazing what people will cause when they don't like your answer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure