IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Waiting PCN private area help needed on popla appeal

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I admitted being the driver in my initial appeal (I'm an idiot)
    You binned the slam dunk win then.

And you cannot use any wording about the POFA, the NTK, or lack of keeper liability.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • JeffBezos
    JeffBezos Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2018 at 3:14PM
    Coupon-mad + Umkomaas

Many thanks for your help and guidance.

I'll post the appeal PDF here in full. Images etc for all (win or lose) when I get the decision.
    Plus whatever the decision is...

Fingers crossed!
  • Hi, need some advice please... I only have 7 days! (so I'd really appreciate it)

PW have responded to my POPLA appeal.

Their evidence seems to be pure rubbish, but as I've not done this before - what do I do now?
    Respond to each of their points On the form on POPLA or by trying to attach another PDF?

This is their evidence presented to popla:

The above parking charge notice was issued for the following reason:
    No Waiting. Park Watch wishes to respond to the appellant's appeal as follows:-

• The land the appellant's vehicle has entered is private land Park Watch has been given authorisation from the landlord to manage this land in line with the terms and conditions that are displayed in this area (Ev IA, 1B & 2).

They have provided an image of the blue P sign which is NOT an image of the sign in the area!
    The picture they have provided POPLA with has in large letters:

NO PARKING OR WAITING AT ANY TIME – SEE NOTICES ON ACCESS ROAD FOR INFORMATION
    (this image also states – on behalf of (and then has the new shopping centre owners name)

The only sign there that contains the blue P sign in the area contains the wording:
    PARKING CONDITIONS APPLY – SEE NOTICES IN THE CAR PARK FOR DETAILS
    (this image also states – on behalf of (and then has the OLD shopping centre owners name)

• The Keeper was issued with a parking charge notice Notice to Owner letter dated #### July 2018 informing them of the alleged contravention (Ev 3A).
    • A transfer of liability was provided on the #### July 2018 (Ev3B).
    • A Notice to Hirer was issued on the #### July 2018 (Ev3C)
    • An email of appeal was received from the appellant on #### July 2018, Park Watch rejected the appeal and responded by letter dated #### July 2018 informing the appellant of the outcome of their appeal.

• In photographic evidence (4A - 4C) you can see from the images that the appellants vehicle has entered onto the private land and remains there for a period of 3 minutes. Signage is visible within the photographic evidence. All have clear time and date stamps.

Here PW have attached huge images where the time stamp is clearly visible
    On the PCN sent to me were 2 tiny images where the timestamps were NOT visible at all??

• There is signage clearly displayed stating the terms and conditions on the wall adjacent to the vehicle on both sides.Evidence 5A is evidence of the Entrance sign displayed upon the wall as a motorist would enter the service area via the only entrance/exit. Evidence 5B is an overview of the Entrance with the signs displayed.

The PW 5A image shows the previously mentioned sign on the wall INSIDE the service area!
    (there is NO entrance signage outside, at all)

It is also the sign contained in my appeal (mentioned above) NOT the picture they have provided as evidence (see above point)

• Evidence 6A — 6D is evidence of the warning signs up and down the service road on both sides of the road.There is not an offer to Park or Wait, the signage clearly states that 'No Parking at Any Time', 'No Waiting at Any Time' & 'Do Not Park on Double Yellow Lines'.

What does this mean?
    If there was NOT an offer then In the case where the signage is written in such a way that it forbids you from parking, then logically there is no contract. If there is no contract, the terms of that contract cannot be enforced (e.g. the £100 parking charge for breaching the contract).

Is that correct please?

• The appellant has not provided any evidence to Park Watch or POPLA to support their claim to have permission to be there.

I explained WHY I was there and that I left immediately after I had realised my mistake?

• Evidence 7 is a site plan showing where the signs are displayed.
    • The land is not a car park and does not require a 10 minute grace period, no parking or waiting is permitted. Taking into consideration the size of the said area and numerous signs displayed. A 2 minute grace period is operated and has been exceeded. Within the appellants own evidence they quote 13.2 of the BPA code of practice 'if the parking location is one where parking is normally permitted' — the location is clearly a service area with double yellow lines throughout and therefore parking is not permitted.

What does that mean and what should I say to answer this?

And 2 MINUTES GRACE? How do I answer that?

• The signage displayed, both entrance and warning signage, in terms of size, amount and wording are within the guidelines stipulated within the BPA's code of practice and is conspicuous and legible. You can see from Ev5A entrance signs are displayed upon the entrance, it is not expected for a motorist to read the signage whist driving. The purpose of the entrance signage is to alert motorist that terms and conditions apply and to acknowledge the signage within the car park. Entrance signs are also visible within the appellants own evidence. Within Ev4A the appellant has stopped adjacent to out signage.

There is no entrance signage? The only signs are well inside the yard? What to do here please?

• We have operated on this site since 27/2/13 as per the licence agreement and terms existed prior to the issuing of the PCN for the ### July 2018, please see Ev8 as evidence of the new signage in place on the ### June 2018.
    • The appellants point regarding ANPR has no relevance to this PCN. ANPR is not operated at this site.

I don’t understand this? What have they sent me as a time stamped image if it was NOT ANPR?
    How do I answer this please??

They have sent a copy of a licence agreement signed in 2013 – the contract has the name of the previous shopping centre owner (the centre was renamed by its new owners last year)

• When entering onto private land it is the motorist's responsibility to ensure that they comply with the terms and conditions that are displayed. Park Watch has taken reasonable steps to inform the appellant of the terms and conditions that apply to this land.
    • Park watch believes that the parking charge notice has been issued correctly.
    • Supporting evidence & documentation attached.

This is the agreement they attached dated 2013: (I believe the site was sold to new owners in 2015)

CUSTOMER LICENSE AGREEMENTPLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING ACCEPTANCE OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW
    • The service may only be used in conjunction with licence agreement on privately owned land as declared below (refer to the address of parking control area below) for which you have authorisation over.
    • Only items of equipment and signs Issued by the company may be used In Conjunction with this service.
    • Contractual warning signs shall be erected in clear prominent positions and kept at all times clearly visible and free {rom obstruction by the client
    • A parking charge may only be Issued to a vehicle that park in contravention OF the restrictions on the land after the erection of the contractual warn(ng signs,
    • Park Watch (the company) Shall not process any parking charge issued by the dent until the company is In receipt of the Signed customer License agreement
    • The customer shall notify the company In writing of any change of ownership to the land

…………..LOOKS LIKE 2 WHITED OUT BULLET POINTS HERE ??...........

• The company shall undertake all costs Incurred In relation to the enforcement of the parking charge.
    • The company shall not disclose any data obtained from the DVLA to the customer, nor shell the company disclose any data regarding the customer to the motorist unless required to do so by Law.
    • The license agreement Is valid for a period of 12 months from the date below., the term will automatically renew, unless the client or company serves 3 months' notice terminating this agreement, such !!!!!! to expire on the last day of the current term
    • During this period the client will not appoint or allow any third party to undertake parking management duties or enforcement of the said Site.
    • The Company requires the customer to ensure that all self-ticketing staff adheres to the British Parking association code of practice.
    CUSTOMER DETAILS

ADDRESS 'l :Centre Management Suite ADDRESS 2: #####ADDRESS 3: ####
    COUNTY LOCATION DETAILSLOCATION: #### Shopping Centro
    NO OF BAYS Car Park 700 /service yards
    Dated 2013 ?

Any and all advice greatly, greatly appreciated - Thanks
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to go through their evidence with a fine tooth comb.
    Find every mistake they have made.
    Point out all the points in your appeal that they have not challenged, and have thus accepted.

We have even seen car park sign images from car parks hundreds of miles away.

Be thorough, but remember you only have 2,000 characters for your response.
  • KeithP wrote: »
    You need to go through their evidence with a fine tooth comb.
    Find every mistake they have made.
    Point out all the points in your appeal that they have not challenged, and have thus accepted.

We have even seen car park sign images from car parks hundreds of miles away.

Be thorough, but remember you only have 2,000 characters for your response.

Thanks - so anything they have not challenged, they have accepted? Or treat it that way?

Do you know how they could have provided time stamped images without using ANPR?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JeffBezos wrote: »
    Do you know how they could have provided time stamped images without using ANPR?

Without reading the whole of your thread again, or indeed reading the operator's comments, time stamped images can easily be created using a mobile phone.
  • KeithP wrote: »
    Without reading the whole of your thread again, or indeed reading the operator's comments, time stamped images can easily be created using a mobile phone.

Is that legal? Anyone could take a couple of photos and add a timestamp right? How do PW prove to popla that the images are real and accurate? I'm assuming the times are correct and I was waiting for 3 mins - But how do I know that it wasn't 1min? I only have their word for it ... Is that a point or not?

By the way - that's the PW evidence in its entirety with my added points in BOLD throughout. There's not much there really.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Yes, of course it is legal. You cant have gotten this far and believed otherwise, because its tld to newbies over and over. THIS IS NOT A STATUTORY PROCESS - this is purely civil. Meaning balance of probabilities is al lthat is needed and there are NO regulations they have to follow.

They state they are, POPLA accepts it. Same as if they provided them to a Judge - if they are deemed true, theyre true. HOw do you think real court works when you have two witnesses, one saying the opposite of the other?

IT IS NOT A POINT. DROP IT

So you need to point out, to POPLA:
    1) appeal point A, C, E have not been challenged by the operator and are therefore accepted. The appeal MSUT be upheld.
    2) APpela point B has been answered, howevr the Operator is misleading POPLA. Evidence X is in fact NOT on the site. See my Evidence XYZ.
    3) The operator has accepted that no contract was ever offered, meanig no charge can be issued as no contract was breached. POPLA cannot rule that a failure to offer a contract means a contract was offered.

And so on...
  • Yes, of course it is legal. You cant have gotten this far and believed otherwise, because its tld to newbies over and over. THIS IS NOT A STATUTORY PROCESS - this is purely civil. Meaning balance of probabilities is al lthat is needed and there are NO regulations they have to follow.

They state they are, POPLA accepts it. Same as if they provided them to a Judge - if they are deemed true, theyre true. HOw do you think real court works when you have two witnesses, one saying the opposite of the other?

IT IS NOT A POINT. DROP IT

So you need to point out, to POPLA:
    1) appeal point A, C, E have not been challenged by the operator and are therefore accepted. The appeal MSUT be upheld.
    2) APpela point B has been answered, howevr the Operator is misleading POPLA. Evidence X is in fact NOT on the site. See my Evidence XYZ.
    3) The operator has accepted that no contract was ever offered, meanig no charge can be issued as no contract was breached. POPLA cannot rule that a failure to offer a contract means a contract was offered.

And so on...

Thanks - so ignore image time stamps and the fact that ANPR was not used for the time codes on the images provided.

None of the images originally provided to me had any legible time stamps - so that is still relevant ? Or not?

1) What I do (if I understand) is I find appeal points (you just used random letters (or did you mean specifically?) that were NOT challenged - then claim that they have therefore been accepted and that because of that my appeal should be upheld.

2) Then the fact that they have supplied false images and misleading evidence then refer to my solid proof of that.

3) popla (can not?) can not rule that a failure to offer a contract means a contract was offered.

Is that a fact to be stated or how would I word that correctly (please)

ALL this help is really needed and appreciated so many thanks guys!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    None of the images originally provided to me had any legible time stamps - so that is still relevant ? Or not?
    No, lack of timestamps on the PCN is not a winning POPLA point.
    popla (can not?) can not rule that a failure to offer a contract means a contract was offered.
    They might do, as they are not legally trained.

You do realise you only have 2000 characters, and just 6 days, to make a few bullet point comments? Not a list of hysterical questions like you posted above, too many for me to read I'm afraid. You need to get your ducks in a row and work out the valid bullet points to nudge POPLA in the right direction in a FEW words.

Spend some time reading other POPLA comments threads. Keywords right there.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure