The seller now wants more money

Comments

• I told her it was being bought for my son, so I signed it in his name. She signed her sons name. Both her and her husband repeatedly informed me that the family just want to get rid of it, and that they had spoken to them and that my offer was ok. I made the mistake of telling the old lady that it had passed the MOT, The tyres just needed pumping up and it needed a new battery. After that, her face changed and I got contacted from the granddaughter :-(
  • Yes, but then add on £70 for a new battery, it turned out that the tyres needed replacing even though the tread was ok, so my son bought 2 pirelli diablo's and had them fitted (£250) It has a badly damaged fuel tank (Heavily dented on both sides) and a broken front fairing, so yes, still a great buy but as the petrol had been sitting in it for so long there was a risk of bigger problems if the injectors were clogged etc ?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So you paid 1/10th of its true value.
    Only if you ignore the fact it's borderline scrap.

It's a 6-11yo bike. Value is a very wide spread, based on condition. This sounds like a shed that might, with a lot of time and parts, be worth the good condition value.
  • But can the granddaughter do anything about it?
  • Thank you, I think the granddaughter knew about and agreed my offer but as soon as she found out it passed the MOT she got annoyed and wanted more money? do you think I or my son have anything "legally" to be worried about though?
  • AdrianC
    But can the granddaughter do anything about it?
    No, she can't. She can send you stroppies as long as she likes, but that's about it.

Whether you told Gran about the MOT or not is irrelevant - it's trivially easy to check from the plate.
  • You bought it . That's it.

How can she report it stolen weeks after the event when they knowingly knew it was "stolen "

It's a civil matter.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think they'll have much luck claiming it's been stolen.

Are they also saying you stole the V5 which you completed as well, but reported neither item when it happened?

Tell them to jogg on.
  • Thanks Adrian, that makes me feel a whole lot better. I will inform her that I have no intention of giving her any more money nor will I be returning the bike, then it's up to her if she wants to attempt to claim it had been stolen? Thanks mate :beer:
  • AdrianC
    Just don't reply. Ignore her. Block her number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure