PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MadamMim2013
    Options
    I'm in.. I'm in..
    Well over last month so can I please be listed for £350 this is mainly due to holibobs and all, teens graze like sheep when I'm at work, tho eldest has just got a job at a local supermarket (the discount in a few weeks will come in handy & may allow me to reduce my budget again!) so fingers crossed for less munching! :rotfl:
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Highland_Fling
    Options
    Good morning everyone
    well such a change in the weather here. It has been raining for the last few days and the garden is loving it. I have beautiful chives in the garden does anyone know if I they freeze well.
    Last two days NSDs so everyday is a bonus.:)
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all! I've managed to spend a lot of my budget already as usual but have some ideas on how to manage the rest of the month - I'm still adding up spends so will update when I know exactly where I am...

Also -

Budgets updated to here
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Morning everyone! I can't believe it's Friday already. Sheesh. This week genuinely flew by.
    I was also thinking about getting sliced ham there too but just remembered I have a cooked ham shank in the freezer I should use up. So there’s more and space money saved! I’ll pull that out tonight so I can start nibbling on it tomorrow.

^^^ I am really glad I pulled that small ham shank out of the freezer and I have now started carving slices off it for meals. It is so good and I think this may be the way forward instead of buying packed slices of ham regularly. It'll come out to be less much expensive along with giving me ham bones to make bean soup in the winter. That's the only thing that makes me vaguely excited for cooler weather this fall. :)

Yesterday I went to Lidl and Delhaize, spending more in both places than intended.

€13.72 at Lidl. They still had packages of sliced English cheddar leftover from Brit Week, so I snatched up two of those. I also got olives, kiwis, mozzarella and a tub of tomatoes. The trout I went there for wasn't to be found at all along with a few other items like the cheaper tomatoes I wanted.

€42.70 at Delhaize. Lots of fruit, yoghurt, halloumi, butter, trout, 2x boxes of Mr. Freeze ice pops to keep at home and a few special items for OH like egg salad and smoothies. I told him last night that we should just start making egg salad at home since these small containers cost €1.85 each. :eek: We could make the same amount ourselves for about 20¢! He seems to be onboard and I'll try it this weekend. Turns out the trout non-sale pricing at Delhaize was actually cheaper than Lidl's sale price so that's a good deal I noted for later.

I'm just going to claim today as a NSD now because we don't need any other fruit or veg for the next couple days.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    €79.94 / €300.00
    1 / 12 NSD

That's such a huge amount and we're only 2 days into the month! We're not sure what the British expat store has in stock as it'll be our first time there tomorrow. I'm going with a basic list in mind but will try to restrain myself and try to remember that I'll still have access to it at a later time if need be. After the shop tomorrow, I think I may ration my weekly grocery spend to €35/week to keep in line. I'll update my sig tomorrow afternoon after we return from the Brit store. Have a lovely and cool Friday everyone!
  • amyanne
    amyanne Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Please can I join for £160. I've been sharing food costs with someone in the family but want to go it alone now, partly to save money, partly to continue with weight loss. My last contribution to food costs was £180 for the month of June and I expect it will be something similar for July, so £160 seems a good starting point.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    £29.47 spent today.
    Mostly tin and dry goods bought. So for the rest of the month it is basically only going to be fresh, though need some frozen vegetables. Not as sad to look at the budget left when I think it like that.

£86.54/£155.
    £68.46 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    £5.53 on amazon subscribe and save parcel of Vital Wheat Gluten flour.

I'm peed off i had to rebuy this, but because my (rented) kitchen has been extended into what was the yard, it isn't entirely weatherproof and the bags i had stocked up on went mouldy and had to be binned :mad:
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello All. I went over on the last day of the July budget. So annoying as it was completely my fault. It was a back from holiday, hangover shop. I won't be doing that again.

Budget for August will be £500. So £50 more as I have a guest for a week and my family birthday party to cater for. I always spend too much.

So weekly shop at lldl and salns, and paid milkman, bringing me to £113.40. There is loads in the fridges, freezers and cupboards.

Thank you for the thread. Good luck all. Xx
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £72 spent yesterday & today, on fresh meat, fish, cheese, fruit, veg & bread, which will mostly do us all week along with allotment pickings & home-laid eggs, though I'll also be doing a "non-perishables" run to L!dls tomorrow or Tuesday.

We've just spent a small fortune on a "proper" chicken run and coop, as our 15 y.o. shed-&-old-aviary-panel arrangement has reached the end of its useful life, so we've invested in something that looks a bit less hillbilly-ish, as we may be looking to sell our house & move west before too long. This arrangement could move with us, but would at least look neater for potential buyers, whether they'd want to keep poultry or not. So I really need to stick to budget this month & for the foreseeable future; there are other tarting-up expenses upcoming.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can I be added for £80 for the month. To include all food, etc., but not alcohol, I'm gonna spend as much as I want for the last of the summer - then get back to that little thing of healthy living in September [STRIKE]she says quaffing on her 3rd cocktail[/STRIKE]. Wasn't going to join this month, in a very 'lazy' mood. Five shops later, two to the market, three to the supermarket, fridge [STRIKE]rammed[/STRIKE] somewhat full - so here I iz. Anyway in all I have spent £28.46/£80, and it's only day 3 - not intending on buying anything else for the foreseeable future. Oh yeah, n spent another £11 out of bulk fund on toilet rolls, Vegenaise, blah blah. Shopping is so overrated. I honestly prefer saving.
    £5.53 on amazon subscribe and save parcel of Vital Wheat Gluten flour. I'm peed off i had to rebuy this, but because my (rented) kitchen has been extended into what was the yard, it isn't entirely weatherproof and the bags i had stocked up on went mouldy and had to be binned :mad:
    Oh dear - n it ain't cheap. I made my first batch of seitan last week, a basic batch n some steaks - so shocked at how they tasted like real steak. Will be slightly tweeking n making more soon.

Anyway, I'm out for lunch tomorrow n a barbeque in the evening, so will start meal planning hopefully Sunday. Have a lovely w/e everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure