Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Comments

• RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    TheShape wrote: »
    I opened a Santander 123 lite account shortly after contributing to that thread. No DDs, no fee, 5% regular saver and still a 123 lite account.
    It sounds like a loophole in their system that is not being picked up automatically.
  • steve65e
    steve65e Posts: 154 Forumite
    TheShape wrote: »
    I opened a Santander 123 lite account shortly after contributing to that thread. No DDs, no fee, 5% regular saver and still a 123 lite account.

My understanding is that the £500 per month pay in and 2 DD's are the condition for getting cashback, not for keeping the account.

The key facts say both

The fee for this account is £1 per month, and

Once you have met the cashback criteria for the first time, you will begin to be charged the £1 monthly account fee.

That's sort of a contradiction but you can see what they are doing.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    That's interesting. I'm surprised that Santander haven't downgraded it to an Everyday account, but as they haven't then you might as well keep taking advantage of the regular saver.

I can't see where in the account terms it states that they may downgrade it to an Everyday account.

The £1 monthly fee is taken once you've set up 2 active DDs, paid in £500 etc. If you don't fulfil it then you don't get charged £1/month. That's written in the terms.

So it can basically be used as a bog standard current account with no DD activity in order to gain 5% interest on their regular saver for as long as their terms allow. :D
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    karlie88 wrote: »
    I can't see where in the account terms it states that they may downgrade it to an Everyday account.

It doesn't have to say so in the account terms. They can choose to withdraw an account at any time, subject to notice being given. They may then offer you an alternative account. One of the things that might make them do so would be a perception that a customer was playing the sytem to benefit from the higher interest rate in a regular saver, without ever using the current account as intended.

You should also note, that I haven't disputed that some people have been able to do this so far, and that in my original post I said, "Santander could reasonably close your 123 Lite, or downgrade it to an Everyday account if you didn't have those DDs. If they downgraded it you would still be able to keep the regular saver, but it would only pay 3%, rather than 5%." I used conditional statements, which clearly, therefore, referred to a possible, not a definite, outcome.
    The £1 monthly fee is taken once you've set up 2 active DDs, paid in £500 etc. If you don't fulfil it then you don't get charged £1/month. That's written in the terms.

Yes, and I never disputed that. Your point is?
    So it can basically be used as a bog standard current account with no DD activity in order to gain 5% interest on their regular saver for as long as their terms allow. :D

It can, for as long as Santander choose to allow it to be, but they still retain the right to close it and offer an Everyday account as an alternative, if they decide that it is not being operated in the manner that they intended it to be. This is true of all current acounts.

Nothing you have said contradicts what I have.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    @ValiantSon. I'm not going to go into great depths as your reply and we're starting to derail the thread.

Tantalus86 asked in relation to the 123 Lite account:
    Tantalus86 wrote: »
    So does this mean I can open the account, not have 2 DDs and still be eligible for the 5% regular saver?

And you replied:
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Sort of. You don't need to have DDs paying out every month, but it is a condition of the account that you need 2 active DDs (i.e. must have paid out in the last 13 months).

It's not a condition of the account to have 2 active DDs, that condition relates to receiving cashback on household bills and the £1 monthly fee. You can still have a 123 Lite account without DDs.

The answer to Tantalus86's original question is 'yes'.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    @ValiantSon. I'm not going to go into great depths as your reply and we're starting to derail the thread.

Tantalus86 asked in relation to the 123 Lite account:

And you replied:

It's not a condition of the account to have 2 active DDs, that condition relates to receiving cashback on household bills and the £1 monthly fee. You can still have a 123 Lite account without DDs.

The answer to Tantalus86's original question is 'yes'.

You have tried to pick an argument where none was possible because I had not given a definitive answer, but rather explained a potential outcome. The answer is not, "yes" because the scenario I describe is a potential outcome, albeit one that has not, to our knowledge arise, as of yet. If you misunderstood my comments then that's fine, but you are wrong to try and argue that I am wrong. I will assume that is because you haven't read carefully what I wrote, rather than because you are being deliberately argumentative.
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Folks,

I cannot find anything that has changed for this weekend's update.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here
  • Actually one thing has changed since last week: the Norwich & Peterborough BS RS was withdrawn from sale (along with all other N&P branded savings products) on 10th May.
  • rob37uk
    rob37uk Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Virgin Money Regular E-Saver Issue 11 now available at 2.25% with a 20/06/2019 maturity date
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Folks,

I have carried out this weekend's update

- Norwich and Peterborough account removed
    - Virgin Money Regular Saver and E-Regular Saver accounts updated to new issues with June 2019 maturity dates
    - Chorley BS new accounts added to post 7 - paying 2.25% on £250 per month until 31st May 2019 for new customers (from anywhere in the UK) and 2.5% for existing customers (please note these accounts are not available until 1st June but you can see the details now)

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are on the first page
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure