Who can fit tumble dryer vent?

We wish to purchase a vented tumble dryer for our new home. It will be going in the kitchen where the previous owners had their dishwasher (we don't want a dishwasher) just under where the sink is on the outside wall.

Drilling a hole and fitting the vent DIY is just not an option for us as we are hopeless with things like that!

Just wondering who would do such a job as its relatively small? A builder? Plumber? If I asked at an electrical goods shop would they know people who could do it or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We had a builder who was doing work in our utility room and was happy to do that until we changed our minds and has a condensing dryer instead.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I just bought a condensing dryer and i have the tools to fit a vent.

Youll probably know someone who has the drill and core bits to do it. Try asking on facebook. A builder or plumber might/should have the tools, shops arent usually too keen to give recommendations for traders as they risk their reputation for little gain.
  • Just get a local handyman.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Go with a condensing one. One with the water tray at the top is easier.

Why have a pointless hole in the wall keeping the kitchen cold when it is not in use? (The thermal properties of a vent tube are not good at keepingg the cold out!)
  • Carrot007 wrote: »
    Go with a condensing one. One with the water tray at the top is easier.

Why have a pointless hole in the wall keeping the kitchen cold when it is not in use? (The thermal properties of a vent tube are not good at keepingg the cold out!)

Vented dryers are cheaper to buy, quicker, use less electricity and arguably are more reliable due to being simpler machines with less to go wrong.
  • I have a Hotpoint Aquarius TCHL73BRP 7Kg Condenser Tumble Dryer and had no problems for over 2years. Would cost £239 today - vented version costs £199 today. I would be surprised if you can get a builder or handyman to put a hole in the wall for £40.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    cranford wrote: »
    I have a Hotpoint Aquarius TCHL73BRP 7Kg Condenser Tumble Dryer and had no problems for over 2years. Would cost £239 today - vented version costs £199 today. I would be surprised if you can get a builder or handyman to put a hole in the wall for £40.
    I have a Hotpoint Reversomatic 9335A vented dryer & have had few problems in nearly 30 years. If you can go with vented then do so for all the reasons pointed out in Naughtius's post.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I tend to always go vented, they're basically a timer, motor and heating element, in our case they last an average of about 7-10 years even for the cheapest versions, i've never been a fan of condenser ones because of the cost/added complexity and once you have a vent fitted once it's there for as long as you are living there.

Virtually any good handyman or usually plumbers and a lot of builders can do it, as it's fairly standard thing for them all to do (also kitchen and bathroom fitters), as it's a standard 100mm hole which is used for everything from bathroom and kitchen extractors to boilers, dryers and air conditioners.
  • My uncle vented mine, he's a general handyman and used a drill, chisel and hammer. Charged me £50 but he is my uncle.

I much prefer vented. Condensers leave my clothes damp and creased!
  • Also sometimes sparks will have core drills for when they put in extraction fans in
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure