DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• That is why you should check all three CRA files regularly. As an account may just appear on one but not the other two files. Checking with all three CRAs is also key to reducing the risk of becoming a victim of fraud

Thanks everyone. I do have MSE credit club, I forgot that! Will look into Clearscore too :beer:
  • Hey All!

I’m just wondering if anyone has had interactions with the payday lender Sunny?

All of my other creditors have gotten in line - some were marvellous, some had a few teething issues but otherwise my DMP is pretty kosher.

Except Sunny Loans :mad:

I’m just in this constant round robin of emails - at first I thought they’d be great because they froze my interest really quickly and were generally helpful. Although I sent them an I&E in the post (which they acknowledged), I also completed the one they had online. Then I had an email saying “oh hey looks like you have no money so we can’t set up a repayment plan for you also we can’t default your account at this stage”. Erm...okay? So I just sit and wait? Do a dance? Cure the common cold? Then I get another email asking me to contact them about setting up a repayment plan :rotfl: and then a phone call at work asking to discuss my account, I was so :mad: about that one and received a lot of apologies. I sent ANOTHER message to them complaining about the phone call, stipulating written correspondence only blah blah and oh yeah, send me some payment details so I can pay you back.

The response I had today?

“Please complete an income and expenditure...we need to assess your ability to repay...this may affect your credit reference file...”

I wish I could insert the WhatsApp facepalm emoji here.
  • Current Mood :doh:
  • Hi,

I would write to Sunny again by post.

The first paragraph would be very clear that I was only consenting to written communication by post, to my home address. My consent is not given for all other forms of communication and would be considered harassment.

The second paragraph would be confirming that you had sent an Income and Expenses dated xx/xx/xx and thanking them for freezing interest. I would then propose monthly payments of £x, beginning dd/mm/yyyy and that I hope they find this acceptable as it is all that can reasonably be afforded.

Yours sincerely,

Ms booksandbacon
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hey All!

I’m just wondering if anyone has had interactions with the payday lender Sunny?

All of my other creditors have gotten in line - some were marvellous, some had a few teething issues but otherwise my DMP is pretty kosher.

Except Sunny Loans :mad:

I’m just in this constant round robin of emails - at first I thought they’d be great because they froze my interest really quickly and were generally helpful. Although I sent them an I&E in the post (which they acknowledged), I also completed the one they had online. Then I had an email saying “oh hey looks like you have no money so we can’t set up a repayment plan for you also we can’t default your account at this stage”. Erm...okay? So I just sit and wait? Do a dance? Cure the common cold? Then I get another email asking me to contact them about setting up a repayment plan :rotfl: and then a phone call at work asking to discuss my account, I was so :mad: about that one and received a lot of apologies. I sent ANOTHER message to them complaining about the phone call, stipulating written correspondence only blah blah and oh yeah, send me some payment details so I can pay you back.

The response I had today?

“Please complete an income and expenditure...we need to assess your ability to repay...this may affect your credit reference file...”

I wish I could insert the WhatsApp facepalm emoji here.
    Current Mood :doh:

To be honest i would just leave it alone for now.

Eventually they will sell the debt on, and you will be better placed dealing with the debt collector.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Good evening,

I have been in contact with SC over the last couple of days and my DMP activated today (hooray!).

I have a few questions if someone wouldn't mind answering them?

- Should I cancel my direct debits from this moment onwards? I intend to email all of my creditor's tomorrow morning/afternoon to inform them that I now have a DMP with SC (and to tell them not to contact me via telephone/email, only by written letters).

- I have successfully applied to switch my current account to First Direct today. However, it says my account will not be active until the 12th October. My next pay day is the 28th September, will I have my new account information before then so that my money will be paid in to the new account? My first SC payment is due on the 17th October so I want to make sure I can make it!

Forgive me if these questions have been asked of you before, I am new here! I've been struggling for a while due to not being smart with my money, taking out loans for cars I didn't need, taking out a ridiculous overdraft with my bank & letting multiple credit cards build up over time before moving them on to another 0% balance transfer card over and over again.

Fortunately, I've not missed a payment yet on any of my accounts but I've taken my DMP out to prevent that from occuring as I simply cannot afford my minimum payment amounts alongside my living costs (which I am now also reducing!).

Thank you in advance,

- Rogue6
  • Hi,
    I really need some advice. So I've found myself in a shocking situation - mostly down to my own fault, but some down to an ex-husband who stacked up debt etc - I have accepted this for what it is and will deal with it myself. I cannot tell anyone in real-life about my worries and debts and I'm simply so ashamed. I am a single mum, a teacher, I have 2 children of primary age and I am trying my absolute best to stay afloat but the interest and things on my credit cards is so severe I can barely cope each month after minumum payments and a tiny bit more are paid.
    I've read these threads and wondered about a DMP but equally am scared. I don't want to lose my house, or put that in danger in anyway. I have 4 credit cards, 2 of which are over £10000 each. Even writing that is just awful. The idea of approaching Step Change is scary but the thought of help is a good thing, but I'm incredibly worried about certain things.
    My son has his birthday next month and we are approaching Christmas - if I set up a DMP will my monthly payments literally be everything I can afford apart from the bare bones for food etc? Or will I be able to buy birthday presents or a new t-shirt for my daughter etc? How tight is it? How is the monthly sum that goes to creditors decided? Will I be able to pay £25 for my little girls ballet each half term, for example?
    If I do have one of these DMPs will my mortgage company know? And could these make them want to stop me having my mortgage with them? I have a fixed rate one now, the rate expires in a few years.
    I read on the threads that people suggest an emergency fund - how do you do this?
    Also, will I have to phone the credit card companies? Would I be better ringing them and asking for help from them directly before contemplating a DMP? Or will this go on my credit file anyway and it be better to go for the DMP? Or should I do it myself? I'm not sure I'm strong enough to handle it this way.
    Am so sorry for all these stupid questions, would really appreciate your thoughts. :(
  • Hi Fo19nz.
    You've just asked half of the questions on my list! And the more I think about things, the more questions I come up with. I made my first post a couple of days ago. Big step for me to admit to my situation "publicly" , but I'm glad I did. I can say already that everyone on here is fantastic, and i received umpteen messages of support and advice on first steps very quickly.
    I'm looking to start taking those next steps very soon, and getting some answers to all those questions too. I'm encouraged by all the stories I've ready so far and I can see that there is a path through this.
    I'm confident you will get answers to your questions here soon, as I will with mine. Look forward to seeing how your story progresses. Take care
  • Fo19nz wrote: »
    Hi,
    I really need some advice. So I've found myself in a shocking situation - mostly down to my own fault, but some down to an ex-husband who stacked up debt etc - I have accepted this for what it is and will deal with it myself. I cannot tell anyone in real-life about my worries and debts and I'm simply so ashamed. I am a single mum, a teacher, I have 2 children of primary age and I am trying my absolute best to stay afloat but the interest and things on my credit cards is so severe I can barely cope each month after minumum payments and a tiny bit more are paid.
    I've read these threads and wondered about a DMP but equally am scared.

I don't want to lose my house, or put that in danger in anyway. Follow the advice given on this forum and by Stepchange and you will not have to worry about your home being at risk

I have 4 credit cards, 2 of which are over £10000 each. Even writing that is just awful. The idea of approaching Step Change is scary but the thought of help is a good thing, but I'm incredibly worried about certain things.

My son has his birthday next month and we are approaching Christmas - if I set up a DMP will my monthly payments literally be everything I can afford apart from the bare bones for food etc? Or will I be able to buy birthday presents or a new t-shirt for my daughter etc? How tight is it? How is the monthly sum that goes to creditors decided? Will I be able to pay £25 for my little girls ballet each half term, for example? When you work out your budget with Stepchange, using their debt remedy took, put in the highest figure for each category that it will let you - if you put in too a high a figure a warning will come up.... just reduce the figure down until the warning goes away. There are allowances for clothes and presents etc. Creditors know that families still have to live. £25 a half term for ballet can be wriggled into your budget somehow - don't worry :)

If I do have one of these DMPs will my mortgage company know? And could these make them want to stop me having my mortgage with them? I have a fixed rate one now, the rate expires in a few years. I have never told my mortgage company about my DMP. I am up to date with my mortgage payments so it's no concern of theirs. Once your fixed rate expires you will
    not easily be able to move to another mortgage offer on a good rate, BUT you will be able to talk to your existing lender and many people on a DMP have found that their existing lender will move them to a current offer no problem. The good thing about a DMP is that if interest rates rise and mortgage payments increase, the amount availabe for, and hence the payments to the non-secured debts goes down - so you are always living within available funds

I read on the threads that people suggest an emergency fund - how do you do this? Stop paying your creditors now and start putting those monthly payments they would have had away into a savings account. Work with Stepchange, or sort yourself out to self manage if you feel able to. Tell Stepchange you want to start the DMP payments in January. If they query why tell them you have essential repairs (boiler / car / etc).

Also, will I have to phone the credit card companies? Even if you go with Stepchange, you will need to contact your creditors yourself. The moment you tell them you are seeking support and advice to deal with your financial situation they will put your account on hold and will not contact you for 30 days.

Would I be better ringing them and asking for help from them directly before contemplating a DMP? Or will this go on my credit file anyway and it be better to go for the DMP? If you feel a few months of reduced or zero interest could get you through this and you could then sort out your debt problem by paying the full amount each month, then yes - contacting your creditors and seeing if you negotiate short term help may be the option for you. Do remember, creditors may offer to reduce or waive interest for a short time, but you will be back to where you are now within a few months. What will change that will make a difference - this option is usually for people who have been unable to work for some reason, eg. extended sick leave, but they know their situation will recover and they can afford to repay at current rates once they are back on their feet.

Or should I do it myself? I'm not sure I'm strong enough to handle it this way. I self managed my DMP - but for the first year I was with Stepchange and I needed that year to help me get started. Some people plod through their DMP with support of a charity like Stepchange, others start with help (like I did) and then switch to self managed, and others start self managed straight away. You can decide for yourself which is the best way for you to move forward. I will say that even though Stepchange collected a single payment each month and distributed this amongst my creditors, I still had to deal with all the correspondence with my creditors. That was a shock for me at the beginning - I thought Stepchange would have done that - but they don't.

Am so sorry for all these stupid questions, would really appreciate your thoughts. :(No stupid questions on here - we've all been where you are now. We all know how your brain races with worries and questions and you just cannot sleep or concentrate. If you decide to go down the route of a DMP, then I can honestly say that within a few weeks you will be breathing a huge sigh of relief and enjoying each day again. It really does change your life that quickly.

Hi - and welcome to our friendly group :wave:

I've answered your questions and concerns in red in your post, copied above.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi Fo19nz :wave: and welcome to the forum.

Excellent advice from one of the regulars (Jan15) - all of which I second. So just to say that I also went with SC from the outset, but it took me a little while longer to go self managed - and I did only so I had more flexibility with the payments made into my DMP. I've been self-managing for over a year now.

I also own my house (well, when I say 'own' - I still have a mortgage) and I've never worried about it being at risk. The fixed term rate I was in came to an end about 2 years 'ish into the DMP and for a while I just dropped to their base rate - than a few months ago I moved back onto a fixed term rate. All of this was done online -easy peasy.

From what you've said I imagine you'll find a DMP is best for you -but worth doing the online debt remedy tool with SC to fully explore your options -and made sure you don't scrimp on your expenses (as Jan15 suggests). It's a big step (a DMP) but one you won't regret if that's what you choose to do.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport