Everyone seems to want to shove you onto a smart meter

Options

Comments

• Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Accurate bills? I currently submit my readings, and i am billed for what i've used?

Yes but if you spend any time on here you will know that most don't submit readings and the result is a mess.

I'm dealing at the moment as an executor of a deceased with an energy account where the meter was not read, no readings were submitted so the actually energy used got totally out of kilter c.f the DD going out. Result a mega black hole in the energy account going back multiple years to be paid by the estate and sorted out - and we are not talking of £100's here - it's in the multiple £1000's.
    The executors will claim they can only back bill for the last year of usage and that amount in itself is unknown cue more argument with the only known accurate agreed reading done back in 2014. The shortfall of previous years which cannot be billed for will be absorbed by the energy company and will result in some way towards prices for the rest of you going up.

This would never have happened with smart meters.
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Yes but if you spend any time on here you will know that most don't submit readings and the result is a mess.

I'm dealing at the moment as an executor of a deceased with an energy account where the meter was not read, no readings were submitted so the actually energy used got totally out of kilter c.f the DD going out. Result a mega black hole in the energy account going back multiple years to be paid by the estate and sorted out - and we are not talking of £100's here - it's in the multiple £1000's.
    The executors will claim they can only back bill for the last year of usage and that amount in itself is unknown cue more argument with the only known accurate agreed reading done back in 2014. The shortfall of previous years which cannot be billed for will be absorbed by the energy company and will result in some way towards prices for the rest of you going up.

I thought the supplier would try and get a physical reading if they've not had one for a while? I submit my meter readings at the start of the month and have done for years, never had someone call to read the meter. But I had a couple of months where I was away from home so it got estimated, and they sent someone to read the meter the following month even though I'd just done it, and when I tried to refuse to let him in because I'd submitted it myself he said he had to because they'd not had a true reading for 2 months.
  • lewisa
    lewisa Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »

Just like supermarkets encouraging customers to do their checkout work for them, causing carrot sales to go through roof while avocado sales collapse, losing them thousands.

If energy companies want to get their customers to do their work for them, they should expect stuff like this to happen.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no requirement to have one installed, even on cheapest plan. Pre register but don't agree a date. They are just required to offer you it
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 September 2018 at 1:58PM
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    There is no requirement to have one installed, even on cheapest plan. Pre register but don't agree a date. They are just required to offer you it

Cave - some of the suppliers’ tariff terms and conditions require the fitting of a smart meter. If the customer has a change of mind, then the default position may be that the tariff is withdrawn and the customer will find themselves back on the supplier’s SVT with billing from the contract start date.

Example:

If you are eligible for smart meters, and don’t already have them and don’t book an appointment for installation (where you are at the appointment or arrange for an alternative person to be at the appointment) within 3 months of coming on supply or switching to this tariff, we may contact you and give you 30 days to choose a different tariff. If you don’t choose a different tariff or don’t book a smart meter appointment after we have contacted you, we’ll switch your tariff to a similar tariff (which doesn’t require a smart meter) which we have available for you at the time.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So what happens when they become compolsory, and I refuse?
  • chrisw99
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »

I doubt they'll ever become compulsory, they'll just gradually become the only ones available when your old one needs replacing.
  • Alloneword wrote: »
    I just don't like them as i have my own theories as to why they want to shove them on us, as for paying the right amount each month i have no issues sending a reading every 30 days, i wonder what sticking a huge magnet on these new things will do? Just a thought you understand.

All1
    That old scam may have worked 60 years ago but now even the old dial meters with the rotating metal barrel are made out of anti magnetic metal so it will not work and certainly does nt work with any digital meters.
    Modern smart meters will mark the end of internal meter tampers.You have only got to look at them and they send back alerts to the supplier.They have anti tamper sensors built into the meters
    Eg a colleague of mine was at an address for a meter reading where the local gasman had removed the smart gas meter for a while. British Gas rang the occupier up to enquire why the gas meter was removed not long after the meter was removed.
    Proof positive that smart meters will eradicate gas and electric theft except for the most determined and skilled .
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »

In 2013, a neighbour refused to accept that analogue TV was being turned off in our region. She wrote to everyone and anyone. She received a Govt response from our MP which said that no one was forcing her to replace her 20 year old TV!

My guess is that customers who refuse smart meters will become the Economy 10 legacy customers of the future with reducing switching and tariff options as Time-of-Use tariffs become the norm.

It took my neighbour a month before she gave in, and bought a cheap second hand digital TV from a local charity shop.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I feel obliged to ask - how much worse was the reception on her new digital TV? My change from a normal aerial to a 12ft mast still didn't get back a guaranteed sight of channels 3,4 & 5 that I'd had before. I was told that when everywhere went digital it would be better - it wasn't. Years later I still lose them for days at a time. So maybe you can see why I would doubt "their" technical abilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure