Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Comments

• isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2018 at 12:04PM
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    That's good to hear. I don't want to have to go into a branch to be grilled each time one of these comes up!

CYBG aren't known for their regular savers, so you may not have to
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    isasmurf wrote: »
    CYBG aren't known for their regular savers, so you may not have to

No, and they're not known for their money lounges either!
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 8:25PM
    Considered creating a new thread, but gathered asking in here is probably better. So here goes;

I have a variety of Regular Savers with various banks and may well need to withdraw funds in the near future to use towards a house deposit. My concern is that I want to ensure I still earn interest for the periods the cash were actually in the account.

I have had a read through many of their T&Cs and can't see anywhere whether interest will be credited if I withdraw all funds and close the accounts.

Accounts I have:
    1. TSB Monthly Saver
    2. Nationwide: Flex Regular Saver 2
    3. Halifax Regular Saver
    4. First Direct Regular Saver

Could any shed any light on this please?

In addition, is there any particular things I need to do to ensure I earn the interest on the accounts? (i.e. withdraw all funds except for £1 to retain the account to earn the interest at the maturity date etc...)

Thanks in advance.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    george4064 wrote: »
    Considered creating a new thread, but gathered asking in here is probably better. So here goes;

I have a variety of Regular Savers with various banks and may well need to withdraw funds in the near future to use towards a house deposit. My concern is that I want to ensure I still earn interest for the periods the cash were actually in the account.

I have had a read through many of their T&Cs and can't see anywhere whether interest will be credited if I withdraw all funds and close the accounts.

Accounts I have:
    1. TSB Monthly Saver
    2. Nationwide: Flex Regular Saver 2
    3. Halifax Regular Saver
    4. First Direct Regular Saver

Could any shed any light on this please?

In addition, is there any particular things I need to do to ensure I earn the interest on the accounts? (i.e. withdraw all funds except for £1 to retain the account to earn the interest at the maturity date etc...)

Thanks in advance.

Lol, bless you. I can see why you think posting here may be a good idea, but I do think a complete new thread will be better for you, and then it's all yours. Also, a lot of people here tend to get touchy about things that are outside discussing opening new regular savers. Giving you a heads up.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,223 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2018 at 9:03PM
    george4064 wrote: »
    Perhaps look on the product pages, for example: https://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/savings-and-investments/savings/regular-saver-account

"sorry - you can't make partial withdrawals. If you close your account before the end of the 12 month period, we'll only pay you interest at our standard Savings Account variable rate"

and... https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/savings/flex-regular-online-saver/features-and-benefits
    "Can I withdraw money?
    Yes, this is an instant access savings account so you can get access to your money whenever you need it."

I'll leave you to do the others ;)
  • Hi Everybody,

I cannot find anything to change for this weekend's update.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are on the first page
  • I have a small number of RS's at the moment (<10) due to planning a large purchase in the near future, but tried to open a TSB monthly saver today with no luck. As they aren't currently available online, I decided to go to a branch in town, but there was apparently "nobody available to see me" and I'd have to make an appointment to come back. I've decided not to bother for now, as the 2% isn't much above the 1.31% the money's currently earning. I wish they would just let you open these at the main counter instead of making you have a meeting with someone trying to upsell you every product they have.

Following the large purchase, I'd like to start reopening more RS's, but most of the BS's are nowhere near where I live. Even the closest Virgin Money is 40 miles away :(
  • Steve_xx
    I have a small number of RS's at the moment (<10) due to planning a large purchase in the near future, but tried to open a TSB monthly saver today with no luck. As they aren't currently available online, I decided to go to a branch in town, but there was apparently "nobody available to see me" and I'd have to make an appointment to come back. I've decided not to bother for now, as the 2% isn't much above the 1.31% the money's currently earning. I wish they would just let you open these at the main counter instead of making you have a meeting with someone trying to upsell you every product they have.

Following the large purchase, I'd like to start reopening more RS's, but most of the BS's are nowhere near where I live. Even the closest Virgin Money is 40 miles away :(

You can open a Regular Saver online if you have a current account.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    You can open a Regular Saver online if you have a current account.

A TSB Monthly Saver? If so, how? It's been unavailable online for a few months now, even for current account customers. Ta.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • Steve_xx
    karlie88 wrote: »
    A TSB Monthly Saver? If so, how? It's been unavailable online for a few months now, even for current account customers. Ta.

Yes, you're correct. I got it wrong, sorry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure