Damp proofing under stairs cupboard Victorian terraced house

Options
Hi, I’m looking for advice please. We have an under stairs cupboard in a typical two up two down terrace. The floor isn’t level with the downstairs floor, there are three steps down because of when the cellar was filled in.
It is painted brick and damp. The damp is moving up the cupboard walls and coming through into the two rooms either side of the cupboard and also at the bottom of the stairs and either side of the stairs
We have used a membrane where this is happening outside the cupboard but don’t know how to deal with the inside of the cupboard because some of it is below ground level (40cm). Would a membrane on the walls and floor work followed by installing a laminate floor or false floor and boarding then plastering the walls?
Would we also need to used an injected dpc or damp rods at floor level to stop the spread up the stairs?

Hope I explained that clearly,
Thanks

Comments

• kazzyb123
    Options
    Anyone???????
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why was the cellar filled in ?

Are there any airbricks to ventilate the void under the floorboards ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    Bring the floor up to the level with the rest of the house, tank the walls and ensure adequate ventilation
  • FreeBear
    Options
    Bring the floor up to the level with the rest of the house, tank the walls and ensure adequate ventilation

Victorian house, (probably) solid brick walls, the internal ones are likely to be single brick thickness. Tanking the walls will just mask the problem and push the damp further up the wall.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • FreeBear wrote: »
    Victorian house, (probably) solid brick walls, the internal ones are likely to be single brick thickness. Tanking the walls will just mask the problem and push the damp further up the wall.

I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread but we are looking at something similar.

We have stairs with a landing and 2 solid stone walls to insulate (one external, the other is sort of external, one side is the bit under the stairs, the other side is under the living room floor which is filled with rubble).

I was going to attach 2x1 to each wall and then cover with a breatherable membrane but wasn't sure on which insulation to use.

Upstairs we've used Thermafleece but the downstairs of the house is hard to heat and a little damp (simply due to the lack of heating, little ventilation under the stairs and the high humidity where we live).

If there a particular insulation which would be suited that is easily accessible to purchase?

I've read about these hemp boards but can't seem to find anywhere online selling them.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I really would not bother with injecting anything.

There maybe some merit in thinking about some sort of cellar membrane (ie Newton, Platon P8 etc), generally its always best to find the source, but on some occasions it's not possible.

I've renovated a 1780-ish cottage with rubble stone walls with soggy infill, sadly also cement rendered externally. Platon behind studwork with about 2 inches of insulation is about the only thing that worked in that house. Professional installed slurry tanking (not installed by me) failed after about 3 months, although at the time when they were doing it, I had no idea that instaling dot and dab plasterboard direct to the tanking was a bad idea....

But it's always best to try to figure out the source.
  • FreeBear
    Options
    If there a particular insulation which would be suited that is easily accessible to purchase?

I would suggest looking at either Pavatex or cork boards topped off with Savolit woodwool boards. A finish of lime plaster would then be applied and be in keeping with the rest of the property.

Ensure that the battens have a DPC where they make contact with the wall, and leave some ventilation for the void.

Have a chat with someone like Mike Wye, and they will be able to advise on suitable materials. That said, they might suggest hemp plaster, but based on comments from a work colleague that used the stuff, she was less than impressed.

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd remove whatever is filling the cellar, and then you'll have a clear air path to air bricks at front & back of house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure