Bank Account Closed

This may be a lengthy one but I don't know what to do, my misses had an account with Barclays with an overdraft it subsequently got fraud but the balance overdrawn was done by her and they stopped the fraudsters in time before they got to spend anything, long story short she is terminally ill and cannot get to the bank, she tried to phone up but failed the phone answer questions they then said to take two forms of I.D to bank but to yet 12 months later she has not been able too and the bank wont let me deal with it. IN this time we have heard nothing I am currently getting her affairs in order and checked her credit file and this bank is showing in the closed section as closed in December 2017 with £0 balance.

Does this mean they have wrote the debt off or will I receive something from them for the balance to pay off??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• They may have sold it onto a collection agency.

Are there any other accounts listed there showing a balance?
  • dez2011
    dez2011 Posts: 9 Forumite
    No and the balance of her debts has dropped by that amount that was on the overdraft.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Have you checked all 3 files?

Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • dez2011
    Just noddle. Il try the others.

Thanks
  • dez2011
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Have you checked all 3 files?

Experian:
    Equifax:
    Call Credit:

I have looked on all 3 and they all say the same thing, closed and account settled 30/11/2017 with a zero balance and no update information since then.

Thanks
  • Candyapple
    If they are all showing it as in the closed section and it's not a defaulted account, it sounds like the bank did write the debt off.

How much was the outstanding balance?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • dez2011
    If they are all showing it as in the closed section and it's not a defaulted account, it sounds like the bank did write the debt off.

How much was the outstanding balance?

It was about £1500 last time they reported anything of the credit file.

Would you suggest trying to contact them and explain my partners situation or leave it.

Thanks
  • Candyapple
    dez2011 wrote: »
    It was about £1500 last time they reported anything of the credit file.

Would you suggest trying to contact them and explain my partners situation or leave it.

Thanks

I'd leave it as it is in the closed accounts section with a zero balance on all 3 files. They may have written the debt off as a goodwill gesture in light of your wife's terminal status.
  • dez2011
    I'd leave it as it is in the closed accounts section with a zero balance on all 3 files. They may have written the debt off as a goodwill gesture in light of your wife's terminal status.

We have not told them about the situation yet, that's was my next move so to speak.

But we have had no letters and I contacted the address they tried to fraud too and they have had nothing either.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    dez2011 wrote: »
    We have not told them about the situation yet, that's was my next move so to speak.

But we have had no letters and I contacted the address they tried to fraud too and they have had nothing either.

"Your next move" :(

I appreciate that the borrower is poorly, however creditors do not usually show mercy when it comes to illness, other than doing what is required of them by law to make the repayments affordable for the borrower. Your next move would not have made the debt disappear.

It is extremely fortunate if the debt has been written off, as this is not an expectation of them, even if the borrower has a terminal illness.

If the bank have not stated otherwise nor received any correspondence from anyone regarding the balance, it is safe to assume for the time being that it has been written off, although the creditor has a defined amount of time to still pursue the debt, unless voided in writing.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure