Returning an opened item (goes against return policy)?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,035
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Been in touch with the seller - they responded today, item still not arrived apparently.

What to do from here?

It's still early days so give it a few more days before worrying. If after 15 working days it still hasn't arrived then you can start a claim with RM but will be limited to £20.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

I had an defective Amazon order (£45+£10postage = £55 total) to return

Monday 2nd July both items were posted back. Supposed to be 2nd class signed for but as per previous posts it turned out to be 2nd class with proof of postage reference.

The tracker for the Amazon order doesn't yet say delivered (like the eBay one does) & obviously no refund from them.

What happens with Amazon though? Just wondering what to do here as really the parcel should've arrived by now. I know the timeframe they give on 2nd class can be quite long but from my experience that seems to be just to cover themselves and so long as you're outside of the busy period (Xmas) if it doesn't reach its destination after 2-3 days then it doesn't reach its destination full stop.

Amazon have similar returns procedures for their marketplace sellers as ebay have with theirs. Your [Amazon] seller should either have sent a prepaid label or confirmed they would reimburse the returns postage. Did that happen?

Secondly, as you know you should have used a service that both insured you and provided tracking, if you paid upfront to return. Hopefully the POD (proof of delivery) will update.

If it doesn't then you can try to contact Amazon and upload your certificate of posting - this can sometimes work if you get an Agent who has some degree of common sense and discretion. You might also contact the seller and press for the refund. Is the seller UK based?

Have a read of Amazon's A-Z which is a guarantee they provide https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201819160 for future reference.

As for you claiming yourself from Royal Mail, you won't get the full amount back as you've only used a service with £20 compensation, so you may want to try Amazon and the seller first.
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    Amazon have similar returns procedures for their marketplace sellers as ebay have with theirs. Your [Amazon] seller should either have sent a prepaid label or confirmed they would reimburse the returns postage. Did that happen?

Secondly, as you know you should have used a service that both insured you and provided tracking, if you paid upfront to return. Hopefully the POD (proof of delivery) will update.

If it doesn't then you can try to contact Amazon and upload your certificate of posting - this can sometimes work if you get an Agent who has some degree of common sense and discretion. You might also contact the seller and press for the refund. Is the seller UK based?

Have a read of Amazon's A-Z which is a guarantee they provide https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201819160 for future reference.

As for you claiming yourself from Royal Mail, you won't get the full amount back as you've only used a service with £20 compensation, so you may want to try Amazon and the seller first.

It's a change of mind return, not a SNAD return so Amazon will not force the seller to pay return costs.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin wrote: »
    It's a change of mind return, not a SNAD return so Amazon will not force the seller to pay return costs.
    No no, the eBay one was a change of mind.

Basically i ordered some clothing off eBay - it was too big so had to send it back & bought a smaller size.

The one from Amazon was a fitness tracker which after numerous tests proved faulty. I specified this in the discussion with the (UK based) seller before returning - that the item was faulty.
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    No no, the eBay one was a change of mind.

Basically i ordered some clothing off eBay - it was too big so had to send it back & bought a smaller size.

The one from Amazon was a fitness tracker which after numerous tests proved faulty. I specified this in the discussion with the (UK based) seller before returning - that the item was faulty.

Right, in that case you needed to have opened and won an A-Z case on Amazon assuming seller wasn't co operative. As above seller would then have had to supply a label for the return.
  • soolin wrote: »
    Right, in that case you needed to have opened and won an A-Z case on Amazon assuming seller wasn't co operative. As above seller would then have had to supply a label for the return.
    :mad: That feeling when you find out key information too late :(

At least i'll know if it happens again.

So right now, since it's pretty obvious it's not going to all of a sudden turn up, i'm to play the waiting game and then try chasing Amazon for a refund? And if that goes nowhere then chase RM? (since the seller is highly unlikely to say - yes no problem since we don't have the item back we'll trust you and refund you in full).
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    soolin wrote: »

The Amazon returns was a defective return.

You don't need to open an A-Z as soon as the seller is uncooperative, it can be retrospective on Amazon.

OP, just be patient and wait to see if the return POD updates. If it doesn't follow my advice above. Amazon may help with your proof of posting if you get a good Agent.
  • The Amazon returns was a defective return.

You don't need to open an A-Z as soon as the seller is uncooperative, it can be retrospective on Amazon.

OP, just be patient and wait to see if the return POD updates. If it doesn't follow my advice above. Amazon may help with your proof of posting if you get a good Agent.
    How do you actually get in touch with them (Amazon)?

I've just been having a scan around their website and i'm finding a lot of palming-off techniques. I'm sure i'm just missing it somewhere but where?
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    How do you actually get in touch with them (Amazon)?

I've just been having a scan around their website and i'm finding a lot of palming-off techniques. I'm sure i'm just missing it somewhere but where?

It's under 'help'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=footer_gw_m_b_he?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508510
  • Well i decided to not wait until next week when the 15 working days is up & i got in touch with Amazon yesterday after i found the live chat option.

They've sent off an email to the seller & told them to refund me basically within 2 working days. If the seller doesn't respond satisfactorily then i'm to get back in touch with Amazon.

I wanted a copy of this chat i had with them so they said once the chat is ended i've to fill out a short survey and then there'll be an option to save/email the chat to myself. I did the survey and then that was that, no option to get a copy. I always like to have a copy in these cases just in case you've been given incorrect info.

I found it odd they didn't want to see my proof of postage. They just took my word for it that i'd returned it. Very strange i thought. I told them i could show them photos of the proof of postage with the sellers name and post code as well as photo of the parcel with the sellers name on if they wanted but they said that wasn't necessary.

For all they know i could have the item sat here with me right now & i could be chancing my luck. I would've preferred if they'd requested my proof to be honest as it's not very good to just take someones word for it that they sent it back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure