PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Pot of Tea - and a Stamp!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 July 2018 at 2:03PM
    I've had one of the movement wound watches for years, cost £49.99 in Argos and worth every penny!
  • RicardaRacoon
    RicardaRacoon Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ok, I have to admit that I've never written a cheque, but I don't live in the UK and were I live cheques are not widely used, I doubt my parents ever used one.

I think the best "I've no idea how to do that" thing was the one trainee who was sent out to buy milk and had to ask how to do that!

Adresses seem to be another thing, a lot of our trainees have no idea how to write them correctly and adress stickers they have to put on envelopes turn up in very unusual places, at the back of the envelope, where the stamp should go and so on...

But I think the most important thing, which I also notice with a lot of adults, is just plain common sense and the ability to use your brain. So many people rather ask someone else than just think for a second... I had people at work asking me how to get to the upper floor of the building while they stood next to the stairs and the elevator...
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Guess it's snowflake melting season here also. This American girl really tickled me recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th9aNvhvvTk
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I considered myself a young 'un until not so long ago but i' m aware the gap is very much there.

'Chip and Pin' is very much my generation. I was asked by a young girl in the pharmacy if I was "paying by chip or pin?" Er both I have a Chip and Pin card says I completely confused. The dear girl explained that the chip was for contact less payment and the pin was for if I paid by putting the card into the machine.

It dawned on my then that our world is moving extremely fast. I'm 38 and of the technological age but very much being left behind.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Quite a few years ago, I remember a friend saying to me rather helplessly "they say we should eat seasonal food, but how do you know what is in season?".

His parents did not grow fruit and veg when he was young, and he lived in a flat without a garden. I could see his problem, these days you can buy strawberries, tomatoes, runner beans and cauliflower all year round. there must be many people who don't know which foods are in season.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I once watched the three mid-teen offspring of a family in a YHA kitchen make an unbeliveable fist of doing some washing up. The sum total of their task was to wash five mugs, five small plates with crumbs on them and five knives with butter/ jam smears. Three of them and they couldn't even do this without incredible difficulty.
    The cynic in me would wonder if this was maybe a ploy so that they never got asked to do it again. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • JessyRM
    JessyRM Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    With regards to the washing line, I had to show my 34 year old OH how to hang clothes the other day. I don't know how i'd not noticed prior to this. He was moaning about his t-shirt and trousers not staying on the line!

I'm 29 so probably fall into the generation you are talking about but I can assure you we are not all like this. I feel adequately prepared for most repairs in the home and I can certainly sew, clean and cook :).

Last week I was inviting candidates for an interview and one of them asked me how to get to the office, I gave him the postcode and he proceeded to tell me he knew where it was but needed to know the bus route. Seriously???
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Not too long ago I was in the supermarket looking for Trex or something similar. I collared a young lady assistant and asked her where the white fats were. She looked blank so I explained that I wanted it for pastry. "Oh, pastry," she said, her face clearing, and led me to the frozen foods and pointed out the Jusroll. No, I said, I wanted to MAKE pastry. "MAKE PASTRY?" she asked in tones of sheer blind disbelief. "Can you do that?"
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jk0 wrote: »
    Ooh, I've got another one regarding my African friend who is 46...

I was showing him how I warm the mugs with boiling water before putting the teabag in them.

I'm with your friend on this one. I've tried warming mugs and not warming them, and I'm blowed if I can notice any difference. How much wasted electric and water could you get through in a lifetime of doing this?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• It's a cross generational thing not being bothered or able to do what our parents and grandparents did as a matter of course, I picked up some YS veg in the local shop early in the year and when I got to the check out the lady serving me (who must have been in her 50s) said 'what are you going to do with all that lot?' so I said make soup, we eat soup for our lunch most days in the colder weather and I make it in big batches. She looked at me like a specimen on a slide under a microscope, frowned and said 'Why? I just open a tin!'. So it's not just the under 40s who haven't got the skills or drive to do things is it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure