The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Working households - Living costs and lifestyles - what is essential?

RR4353
RR4353 Posts: 17 Forumite
edited 6 July 2018 at 8:11PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hi

I am looking for people in employment or self-employed in the UK to help me out with my research. This thread relates to living costs for working households and forms part of my research for my dissertation (MA in Social Research Methods and Social Policy at Durham University).

I have been given permission by the MSE Forum Team to create this thread.

The research considers living costs among working households, in particular the financial pressures associated with our lifestyles today. Therefore, it looks beyond essential costs, recognising that in the UK today housing, fuel and food costs are big issues but that we also have many other living costs to juggle, and people on decent/better incomes can still have little disposable income.

The thread is intended to open up discussion about living costs to see how they vary among different households - there are no rights or wrongs, everyone will have their own opinions and experiences. You do not have to respond to all questions and may withdraw at any time up to 31 July 2018, by which time I will be preparing to submit the assignment. Taking part is completely voluntary.

Parts of the discussion will be used in my dissertation assignment but all names will be changed to ensure confidentiality and anonymity. I will keep my assignment data on a password-protected computer. By contributing to the thread, you are giving your consent for me to use what you write in my assignment and this will only be used for the purpose of my dissertation.

The first question is:
Other than rent/mortgage, council tax, water, gas/electric/other fuel and food costs, what do you consider as essential/important for your living costs today?

I'll post further questions below as the discussion gets going :)

Comments

• Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Broadband,mobiles
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    Forumite
    Car and associated costs.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Clothing - my neighbours complain when I wander around naked ;)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 3 July 2018 at 6:26PM
    Acting on the massive inundation of adverts for numerous unnecessary generic tat, by buying said tat, whereas 'making do' would serve perfectly adequately, and often better. Wanting to emulate the consumption of ridiculous 'celebrities' (aka walking ads), and being impressed by them.

Living only for today, without a thought for what the future may bring, and saving/investing for this (even small amounts make a difference, ultimately).
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Personally I consider my water rates quite essential I don't think I would last very long without water
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,795
    Forumite
    IPhone 8
    IPad Pro 10.5
    Sky q
    Apple 4k tv
    Sony 4k 43" t.v.
    2014 Clio
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Such a frugal life you lead
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cigars :cool:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,518
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Tinternet is essential, whether broadband or mobile phone.
    Mobile Phone I could live without if I had a tablet/laptop and broadband.
    Car is neccessary for my job.
    Costs associated with Gitdog because I can't envisage not being a pet owner. Maybe not essential but of huge importance to me.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,639
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    As others have said - add online access (with devices to do it!), water supply, clothes and transport (car and/or public transport, or bicycle) costs to your list. Probably a telly as well, though many might bundle that into online kit these days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure