PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'We're saving for a deposit' thread

Comments

• diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hope everyone's savings are continuing to do well :)

I'm ultra proud of the fact that tomorrow I'll be going past £1000, in under 3 months and then I see other folks' posts here and I'm :o lol

I've managed to put away £266 this month :)

Its often far more impressive when someone on a low salary can save £20 in a month than someone putting a couple of grand away when considering disposable income. But you are saving and that is the high five fact
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • diggingdude
    edited 1 July 2018 at 10:02PM
    June was another good month. I'm managing to stick to the set target I had per month and am managing a little more on top. My current account is healthy at the moment but won't put that here as looking to be approved for driving again this/next month so will have to splash out on a decent car. More importantly I have the 10% deposit for anything I am likely to be able to buy on my salary so anything now is a bonus.

Last month's total £14621. Had a £25 bonus paid into Skipton as well after having a play and putting £100 in there last month. I have decided to start a new legal fees fund. It wont cover it all but will take away the sting next year. Total save this month £1400

Current Savings

Club Lloyds Regular 3% - £3,525 (matures next month, hope they still run it)
    Lloyds Regular 2.5% - £750
    Halifax Regular 2.5% - £750
    Virgin Regular 2% - £750
    LISA Account 0.75% - £10,021
    Ford Money 1.21% - £225 (legal fees)
    Target - £20000 April 2019 Total so far £16021
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its often far more impressive when someone on a low salary can save £20 in a month than someone putting a couple of grand away when considering disposable income. But you are saving and that is the high five fact

100% agreed! Saving anything is better than nothing, you should be very proud of your savings :)
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you both - i am very proud that I have managed to get what i have got so far in such a short space of time, considering that my salary isnt that great :D

Next target is 3K by Christmas
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • lildoonbuggy
    lildoonbuggy Posts: 81 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hey all, still ticking along over here but not as diligently as originally planned. Saving at about 65% of one salary, from an original target of 100%.

This month we saved £1500, bringing our total to:

Me: £17k
    DH: £4K
    Index funds: £1.5k
    Total: £22.5

Our original goal was £35k plus fees and taxes, whereas now we are thinking £45k plus fees and taxes. Bobsybunny, we are in the same boat as you, however our rationale was we'd rather buy for 10-15 years and if we went smaller, wewould only get 3-5 max out of it. We would also look to have boarders/housemates if we got a bigger house, and we would be fine in terms of affordability.

We have a fairly big overseas investment which technically we were saving for retirement but we are now thinking about liquidating. It should leave us with about £90k meaning we could purchase immediately. I am holding off thinking about that until later in the year though. Next step for us, other than saving, is moving to a new part of London to test out whether we could picture us buying there. So far, end date is looking like mid 2019, give or take 6 months.

Well done all for another month admiring our dreams from afar!
  • diggingdude
    Thank you both - i am very proud that I have managed to get what i have got so far in such a short space of time, considering that my salary isnt that great :D

Next target is 3K by Christmas
    I just re=read what I wrote and was worried it came across as patronising. Really sorry if it did anyone as it certainly wasn't meant that way :)
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    I just re=read what I wrote and was worried it came across as patronising. Really sorry if it did anyone as it certainly wasn't meant that way :)

I didnt read it that way :beer:

You're quite right, because my salary is below average, I dont have as much disposable income as others might do so anything that I am able to put away is good.

And with any luck, it might just encourage one other person in a similar situation that if I can do it, they can too :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• compbren
    compbren Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Quick question, but do you guys include the Help To Buy Bonus money in your totals?

Anyway, I've not posted on here in about a year, I'm still saving as best I can but it's so hard. I ended up buying a car last year which dented my savings a bit but I had to.

I'm currently at £35,400 at the minute, aiming to get to £40,000 by the end of the year, with the aim to buy early next year (I'll be 34). I was at £40k this time last year but ended up buying a car.

Will try and be more regular on here whilst I aim for my target. Hopefully I'll hit £36k by the end of the month.
    House Deposit: £28,000 and still saving!
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    compbren wrote: »
    Quick question, but do you guys include the Help To Buy Bonus money in your totals?

Anyway, I've not posted on here in about a year, I'm still saving as best I can but it's so hard. I ended up buying a car last year which dented my savings a bit but I had to.

I'm currently at £35,400 at the minute, aiming to get to £40,000 by the end of the year, with the aim to buy early next year (I'll be 34). I was at £40k this time last year but ended up buying a car.

Will try and be more regular on here whilst I aim for my target. Hopefully I'll hit £36k by the end of the month.

I'm counting the interest but not the bonus bit

• bopsybunny
    bopsybunny Posts: 109 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    I count our HTB bonuses when I total up all of our savings, to see how much we actually have to go towards a house.

I am aiming to save enough so that we have 10% deposit in actual savings, plus money for solicitors fees etc, and then whatever we end up getting from HTB bonus is - well, just that - a bonus!

However, if the right house came along for the right price, we would try to exchange with a slightly under 10% deposit, knowing that on completion, after claiming HTB bonus, we'd have the 10% needed for the better mortgage deals. If the seller won't allow it, then we would borrow the difference from family (as a "gift" in solicitor's eyes, but we'd repay anything we borrow), and end up with over 10% mortgage deposit after HTB bonus is claimed.
    Wedding savings Jan 19: £1.4k. Sept 19: £7.5k. Mar 20: £12.6k
    Goal: Pay for wedding by August 2020 <3
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport