borrow £30,000

Options
kammx4
kammx4 Posts: 43 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi i have looking to raise £30,000 for home improvements next year and wondered on the most cost effective way to do this. Borrow a separate loan for the amount or remortgage for the extra. I have no debt at the moment except my mortgage which has 8 years to run and has £68,000 on it. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Whichever will cost you less.

That will involve you comparing not just the rates you could get, but also the timescales, any early redemption fees, etc.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    It will also depend on how much you can afford to repay each month.
  • dawyldthing
    Options
    Might be worth slowly saving for it unless it's urgent. Any borrowing costs a lot more than what you started with
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    The cost depends on fees interest rates and term.

As a first preference I would break down that £30k into critical and nice to do some day and use a combination of long term 0% credit cards and savings. That is cheapest way but it depends on how much spare income you have to repay it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Suplex_Backbreaker
    Options
    kammx4 wrote: »
    Hi i have looking to raise £30,000 for home improvements next year and wondered on the most cost effective way to do this. Borrow a separate loan for the amount or remortgage for the extra. I have no debt at the moment except my mortgage which has 8 years to run and has £68,000 on it. Thanks for any advice.

Remortgaging for the extra would probably be the cheapest way as it's currently incredibly cheap to get secured loans and you surely have quite a bit of equity in your house by now anyway, so you'll probably be able to access the best rates even with the additional borrowing (ie. 60% LTV).

You might want to lock in a 5 year fix for peace of mind, even if the interest rates wouldn't be as low as say a 2 year deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure