Told cant have holiday

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I dont agree a company can tell you when to take all your holiday. What if they wanted to give you 2 weeks in Nov and 2 in Jan. That said.....maybe I just work for a company with decent T&C.

You may not like the fact that a company can dictate when holiday is taken, but it can. They could have fixed shut down periods for which annual holiday has to be retained, although it's probably unlikely given the amount of holiday people get now that all would be used for that. If a company decided it was going to close for a month, it would be perfectly within its rights.
    A company can also block out periods of the year when no holidays are permitted. The only limiting factor is that all staff must be allowed to take the legal minimum within the year.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    At my work we have a board and only one of us 5 can be off at the same time. First come basis.

First come is a grossly unfair way to allocate holiday, although far from uncommon. It puts some individuals at a major disadvantage, for example part timers who may well come in for the first time after the board is unveiled to discover all the best dates have already been taken.
    Where I worked, everybody was told when the holiday spreadsheet was available, and there was a time period for all to put their preferences down. There was no limit on how many could request a particular date but, once the time period for application had closed, the manager would look at any period where too many wanted time off. They would then look to see who had that period the previous year and put them to the bottom of the queue this time round. That prevented any individual from hogging the best dates every year.
    We actually had once instance where somebody had booked holiday because 'That's when I always have my holiday' was told they couldn't have the dates. Everybody was warned not to book holiday until the dates had been agreed.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 2:00PM
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    You may not like the fact that a company can dictate when holiday is taken, but it can. They could have fixed shut down periods for which annual holiday has to be retained, although it's probably unlikely given the amount of holiday people get now that all would be used for that. If a company decided it was going to close for a month, it would be perfectly within its rights.
    A company can also block out periods of the year when no holidays are permitted. The only limiting factor is that all staff must be allowed to take the legal minimum within the year.

I understand why and how it works like that for Fords say. I have family who use to work for them. I took that as read. I meant more the average company. Not production. For example, Bod you are having xx and John you are having xx

Like I said.......I suppose I just work for a decent company with a strong Union. Its not a case of liking I have never experienced it so only care from an academic viewpoint.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 11 September 2017 at 3:19PM
    First come is a grossly unfair way to allocate holiday, although far from uncommon. It puts some individuals at a major disadvantage, for example part timers who may well come in for the first time after the board is unveiled to discover all the best dates have already been taken.
    Where I worked, everybody was told when the holiday spreadsheet was available, and there was a time period for all to put their preferences down. There was no limit on how many could request a particular date but, once the time period for application had closed, the manager would look at any period where too many wanted time off. They would then look to see who had that period the previous year and put them to the bottom of the queue this time round. That prevented any individual from hogging the best dates every year.
    We actually had once instance where somebody had booked holiday because 'That's when I always have my holiday' was told they couldn't have the dates. Everybody was warned not to book holiday until the dates had been agreed.

Thats not how it does or can work on a 24 hours, 7 day a week plant with 5 skilled controllers. Only one is off the others cover it with over/time or on a reserve shift. We dont have any part-timers. On peak periods managers will cover if need be.

We self govern ourselves and don't really need a manager for simple admin.

Its has worked pretty good for 20 years.

I just asked the wife who is a civil servant. She explained that many people do not know their whole years holiday on a set day in advance and would not want to work like that and so wont work in her office.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I dont agree a company can tell you when to take all your holiday. What if they wanted to give you 2 weeks in Nov and 2 in Jan. That said.....maybe I just work for a company with decent T&C.

At my first job, we were told exactly when to take all of our holidays. The company closed down for 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks in the summer and everyone had to take those days off. We also had to take the bank holidays as again the company closed down. Factory shutdowns are probably fairly rare nowadays, but a company operating in this way is perfectly legal and does still happen.
  • scd3scd4
    bap98189 wrote: »
    At my first job, we were told exactly when to take all of our holidays. The company closed down for 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks in the summer and everyone had to take those days off. We also had to take the bank holidays as again the company closed down. Factory shutdowns are probably fairly rare nowadays, but a company operating in this way is perfectly legal and does still happen.

Yep, like I posted I understand that. I am not aware this OP works in production or the issue is "shutdowns"

I was replying to a company telling someone when to take holidays individually.

Incidentally. We have a two weeks shut down mid year and one at xmas and don't get told when to take holiday.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    At our place you have to take the days between Xmas and New Year off, other than that, it's a first come first served basis.

I think it's fair. We don't have any part timers and if someone new starts and they have holiday booked and it clashes with someone else who has already booked, then we just manage.

Been that way for 26 years.
  • you are entitled to 30 days per holiday year but yes, an employer can deny your request if this does not fit business needs. take it off when there's not someone else off?
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Thats not how it does or can work on a 24 hours, 7 day a week plant with 5 skilled controllers. Only one is off the others cover it with over/time or on a reserve shift. We dont have any part-timers. On peak periods managers will cover if need be.

To cover 24/7/52 1 person on at all times, statutory holidays(no sick cover or overlaps) with 5 people you need contractual hours of 37.7hr per week.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

I can see it might be unfair, but only if it were set up in such a way that some people were able to make requests earlier than others. Our's doesn't work that way - there is no 'unveiling' of the 'board' (and it's available online so people don't need to be in the office to access it)

So no-one is disadvantaged by being part time. A person may have less choice when they first join, but that would be true for your system, too.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure