Skip left on my property

14567810»

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Decant it into another skip and get it taken away, then grind out all the companies markings, stick it on freecycle and have it taken away.

When they come back tell them its gone and you thought they took it away.

For the legal way google "Involuntary bailee" a lot of Landlord stuff comes up but it's all the same and the process you must go through to get the job done legally.
  • kaya wrote: »
    tell the skip company you have spoken to a friend who runs another skip company who have offered to remove it for free for you if its still there in a week, skips cost money and they won't want to risk loosing it
    Don't put it in writing just phone them, your not stealing it or selling it and there is no contract between you and the company it belongs to as your builder hired it not you so you are not responsible for it, that's what I did about 6 months ago and they turned up the next day and removed it. Most skip companies are run by dubious "gentle travelling irish folk" and they are more than happy to weld over the old companies name or give it a quick paint job, remember you didn't ask them to put it there or agree any terms your builder did so if it goes missing its his problem not yours

_pale_:whistle: Duh! That was the sound of "penny just dropping" - and drawing the connection as to why "illicit caravan parking" by a group of caravans;):mad: so often results in a load of rubbish being left for us Council taxpayers to pay to clear up.

I hadnt realised that....
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    _pale_:whistle: Duh! That was the sound of "penny just dropping" - and drawing the connection as to why "illicit caravan parking" by a group of caravans;):mad: so often results in a load of rubbish being left for us Council taxpayers to pay to clear up.

I hadnt realised that....

Utter rubbish. The comment you reply to makes sweeping generalisations

Skip companies are legitimate businesses with premises and proper waste carrying permits from the Environment Agency. I can't think I've ever even encountered a 'gentle Irish' skip lorry driver. Businesses couldn't reasonably be run whilst travelling.

Any travellers leaving rubbish behind them is because they have no respect and it has nothing to do with running Waste removal businesses.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Any update on this?
  • Not much really to update. Have sent a recorded letter to tell them i will take common law possession of the skip in 10 days using the statutory rights and powers of sale (as exists under Torts Act 1977, s.12 of the Act) by acting as the baliee.
    No response as of yet.

However, my new builders seem to also know the skip company owner and have said they will speak to him and put an offer to pay for the one skip to remove it (ill be forking out £300 though!).
    The old builder owes them for 4 skips though (which im not paying for!), so let see.

Will update when/if anything happens.
  • Update
    So my new builder spoke to the skip company owner and agreed to remove skip if i paid for it. Not ideal, but at least its gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure