Dispute credit entry on credit file

How does somebody go about writing a dispute about an entry to their credit file please?

Do I have to write a hand written letter to each of the credit reference agencies, or would email do?

Do I need to include ID

If I just write the paragraph disputing the claim, is that enough, and do they have to put it on my file?

Is there any good good guidance on this at all?
Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future

Comments

• AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    When I'm searching for info on this everybody says the same things, that you can do it, but not much info on how to do it

If your dispute goes unresolved after the investigation, then you are allowed to write a 200-word statement explaining your side of the story, which will then be saved alongside the disputed information.
  • You can contact the CRAs by any means - post, phone, email or pigeon. Give your reasons and they will liaise with the lender.

If the entry remains, you can file a Notice of Correction. However, these tend to be worse than useless, so I"d generally advise against it, but it depends on your circumstances.
  • What is the dispute?
  • AG47
    My dispute is a fraudulent loan application that was supposedly signed by me. I did not sign it, and the signiture doesn't look anyting like mine.

I have a copy of the suposed loan agreement, and I have reported to to the police and action fraud. I have a crime reference number and have raised this dispute with the company many times. I never recieved the funds and I never agreed to the loan.

They have no evidence whatsoever. I have irrefutable evidence that I never recieved the money or signed that loan agreement.

They are being worse that stupid, and after all my attempts they will not remove it from my credit file.

All I can do now is explain the situation to all three credit reference agencies so they put my note on my report.
  • AG47
    Is there a link anywhere explaining how to put this note on my reports?

Which addresses do I write to and what evidence to I need to send?

I wish I could do it by email, but I thought somebody said it has to be in hand writing and signed, is that right?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AG47 wrote: »
    All I can do now is explain the situation to all three credit reference agencies so they put my note on my report.

Wrong. You can raise a formal complaint with the regulatory bodies.
  • AG47
    I have done that havent I?

I have reported to the police, I have a crime reference number.

What other bodies are you talking about?
  • AG47 wrote: »
    What other bodies are you talking about?
    Assuming that you have already made an official written complaint to the lender, then you can escalate to the FOS and the ICO once eight weeks have passed.

Assuming that you have already made official written complaints to the CRAs that the data held in their respective files is wrong, then you could also escalate to the ICO once eight weeks have passed.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • AG47
    Assuming that you have already made an official written complaint to the lender, then you can escalate to the FOS and the ICO once eight weeks have passed.

Assuming that you have already made official written complaints to the CRAs that the data held in their respective files is wrong, then you could also escalate to the ICO once eight weeks have passed.

I haven’t yet made official complaints to the CRAs, that is my next step. Thanks.

Can I just email them all?

Then I will escalate to the FOS, if they still refuse to remove it.
  • The CRA’s won’t remove it until instructed by the lender
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family